A Tough Morning at Cody Ranch

Feb 28 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I reserved Twin Lakes for yesterday morning, expecting the first nice day in a while up there in Okieland. Well, the Okie weatherfolk  must not have known that I was coming, for I didn’t see the sun even once, all day.  It was raining lightly when I arrived at the launch site, but stopped soon after I launched. About 9:00, the heavy overcast changed to a light, misty drizzle and fog. South Twin was brim-full, with the water within ½” of going into the outlet box. (Although I didn’t fish it, North Twin was also high – the fish feeder was half underwater!) In spite of the bad drought Oklahoma is experiencing, the Twin Lakes have a large enough drainage basin to have captured a lot of the 4” of rain they had up there recently.

The water temp at daylight was 52.9 at trolling motor depth, and visibility was about a foot. Neither that temperature nor the visibility changed much during the morning. The lake was high enough that no pads were showing anywhere on the lake, and most of the stickups were underwater. I decided to fish the dam first with a large HB frog. On my first cast, I had an explosive hit right by the bank and hooked the fish….not very well, though, for my line went slack after about 10 seconds - and that was it for topwater action. In spite of my high hopes and anticipation, I ended the morning having put only four fish in the boat, each under 2.5 pounds, and all on a black/blue flake Senko – 3 weightless wacky-rigged, and one weightless T-rigged.  No action at all on chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, creature baits, topwaters, crank baits, soft swim baits, hard or soft jerk baits, or crankbaits.

The road to the Twin Lakes is in excellent condition.

I realize that this isn't much help to those anticipating the group trip in a couple of weeks, but it's the best information I can give you.

Shortly before noon, I reloaded the SUV and pulled my pond boat over to Upper Hart.

Posted By: Tom Dillon