Great Time @ Waco Creek Ranch 2/25 & 26

Mar 01 2017

Rick Svoboda

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fishing partner Mike Svoboda & I fished Waco Creek Ranch Saturday afternoon (2/25) and Sunday 2/26.   Saturday afternoon was sunny, sort of warm with a light breeze.  The water temperature was 62 degrees and the water was pretty clear.  We had a very good afternoon catching 27 fish.  The biggest was 6 lbs, with two 5 lbs, 8 in the 4+ lb and the rest 2-3 1/2 lb.  We harvested two huge black crappies and two bass.  A small red crank bait and a small red rattle trap really worked well along the right bank to the right of the boat launching area, into the small creek immediately to the right and along the right edge of the big creek on the right.  Bigger crank baits didn't work for us because of the amount of grass.  Watermelon red Senkos wacky rigged also work well.  We were also very fortunate to have a good top water bite at the end of the day with yellow magic lures.

Sunday morning was a whole different story.  We woke up to 39 degrees and heavy overcast skies.  The surface temperature had dropped to 57 degrees.  We started out very slow and the baits that worked the day before and others, including top water were not producing until we switched to Texas rigged white flukes.  We caught 32 bass on Sunday.  Eight of them weighted between 4 & 4 3/4 lbs.  Harvested one bass.  We caught some of them in the same places as Saturday but also up the right side of the left creek between the grass and rock banks.  Water temperature got back up to 61 degrees by mid afternoon.  We were lso again very fortunate to have a top water bite at the end of the day with yellow magic lures.  Half of our 4+ lb fish came late in the day on top water lures.  Doesn't get any better than that for us.

Mike & I really enjoy fishing this lake. 

Posted By: Rick Svoboda

Mar 01 2017

Shayne Wallace

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I’ve been wanting to go to this property but it’s right at a 9 hour drive from my house in La.  my fishing partner is my son so I have to schedule our trips around his breaks and holidays. Tried to reserve it during his spring break but it was booked. I’ll try again when he gets out in May.  But your comment about the grass concerns me. Do you think the grass will get worse with warmer weather and that clear water?  If so, will it be fishable grass or that nasty “snot grass”?

Mar 01 2017

Michael Svoboda

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hi Shayne,

We only fished this property once at that time of year and it was in June 2012. The grass choked off the creeks but there was still plenty of deep water and a great creek channel across from the boat ramp to fish. Dad caught a 25 1/2 inch fish that trip. That was five years ago and things can change drastically but I would bet there will be some grass next to deep water you could punch a heavy jig through in May. We have been three 3 times now and caught quality fish on all trips. I saw some giant carp this trip that they added a couple of years ago, Steve told us they were considering adding more to help with the grass. I would call Steve or Seth to get more information. 

Mar 01 2017

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Rick. Thanks fir the detailed report. Steve Carpenter and I are headed there on Thursday. 

Bill Fetech

Mar 02 2017

Bryan Durrett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Glad to hear SS is heating up. That is a nice part of Texas. I enjoy the ride in on Hwy 16. Tip, if you see the carp busting in the shallows, pitch a frog in there and hold on. They seem to attract Bass into the same area. I assume the Bass detect the commotion and have to check it out.

Mar 02 2017

Rick Svoboda

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Bill

Will be interested to see how you guys do. Terrific lake and the surrounding countryside is great.

Rick

Mar 02 2017

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Not very well. Cold front the night before was not good. Water temp 59-62. Between the two of us, we caught 5 (1 was culled). No real pattern. We each did lose one. 

Bill Fetech