3/25/2017 - Howling wind fishing

Mar 27 2017

Noley Bice

Fry

Number of Posts :

My partner, PWF member Dale Williams, and I made a trip back to Rough Creek intent on catching a fish to win the Big Bass Tournament.  Like some of the basketball teams at this time, the goal didn't happen.  We fished out of our Hobie peddle Kayaks, and when we put in at about 9:00 a.m. we faced a blustery North wind that kept up almost all morning, rarely letting up for any time at all.  We were on the heels of a front that cooled things off and dropped rain.  Another smart move of ours (but you fish when you can).  We caught and released 11 bass up to 3 1/2 pounds, along with one large crappie.  Several lures were tried, including swim jig, crawdad, and whopper plopper.  The best luck was on a dark green and red tint creature bait, fished in the same spot with the Kayak stuck in lilly pads to avoid the effects of the wind.  We shut it down at around noon while our legs would still work.  There was a guide with a client on the water when we arrived, but they left shortly thereafter.  One other (guest of the lodge, I suppose) person fished out of a lodge boat, but we didn't see anyone have any success.  The additional people did not bother us at all, as the lake is large enough to accommodate several boats.  Rough Creek does have a membership club which guarantees fishing to members on any lake at any time within the regular hours.  We like the lake and will return, but not when the wind is so tough.

-noley bice

Posted By: Noley Bice