Windy, but good.

Apr 08 2017

Nicholas Borowski

Fry

Number of Posts :

Big thanks to Steve for recommending this property to me when talking with me over the phone the other week.

Decided to give this property a try since Brushy Creek was taken.  Temperature was around 60, water visibility was about 4-6 feet.  Wind was howling.

When I got the jon boat out, immediately hooked into 3 fish right at the boat launch….however, the wind was so strong I had to seek cover as I didn't have an anchor and trying to navigate the wind with the trolling motor wasn't working well.

I went to the east side of the lake where I found shelter and immediately hooked into a 22-23" on a ledge.  I continued working my way to the dam catching various 2-3 lbrs and smaller fish.  As I got closer to the dam, I hooked into an even bigger fish and got a quick look at the fish right before the hook came out….it was a HUGE bass and I had already spent 3-4 minutes fighting it with my rod/reel so it was a huge disappointment when the hook was spit out.  After taking a quick rest after that incident, made my way to the dam and began reeling in a lot of fish—-this time, most of the fish seemed to be consistently bigger than before with very few unders being taken.  Unfortunately, the wind was to strong so I had to retreat back to the sheltered east side of the lake.

While on the east side of the lake, I was able to "Settle down" and see what was going on a bit more clearly in the water.  I saw some BIG fish moving back and fourth along the ledge which I tried to sight cast to, but there were simply too many smaller bass in the area and whenever I cast a worm near the area of the fish I had seen, they immediately went for the worm.  I decided to call it a day at 1:00-1:30 as my trolling motor battery was almost dead.

I culled 10 unders and caught around 10-14 overs which were released.  Also caught a bonus catfish which I initially thought was my third shot at a "big" bass today…..released him as well as the property didn't say to cull the cats.  Overall, it was a very good day.  If I had an anchor, or if the wind was a little better, I would have probably stayed at the lake all day…..off to Academy to get an anchor lol  All fish were caught on drop shot and txrig…..big winner today being Roboworms.  PowerWorms on the TxRig.

On a side note:  The previous person was spot on….this lake has a LOT of under-sized bass which need to be culled.  I woud also like to see a PWF day where a bunch of folks went out there on a good day and culled a good amount of the smaller fish as they're everywhere.

Posted By: Nicholas Borowski

Apr 08 2017

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Nicholas. Great report. I usually fish Gallant Elms, but with Escondido just opening I have not had a chance to fish Gallant Elms. I do have a trip planned for late May to Escondido and I am looking for a partner. 

Bill

Apr 08 2017

Nicholas Borowski

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hey Bill, I'll definitely be in touch with you at some point.  I hear'ya on Escondido….I've got two days reserved there end of this month.  Great lake for sure….seems to be booked solid for the most part.