Interesting Day At the Cody Twins

Apr 13 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I had an interesting day at Cody Ranch yesterday, starting out at South Twin with high expectations under a calm and cloudy sky that just shouted out, “Topwater.”  Nah.  The first two boated fish hit a black/blue flake, weightless, wacky-rigged, 5” Senko. Both were just off the pads by the outlet.  Got one on a hollow body frog, one on a 5” Pit Boss, and 8 more on the black/blue flake Senko.  The water was stained, probably more from cows in the water than from runoff. Visibility was less than a foot, and water temp climbed from 65.6 to 71.1 while I fished. I did notice while fishing that a whole herd of bovines had surrounded my SUV, and were madly licking it again. I hate that cow slobber all over my vehicle! No luck at all on chatter baits, topwater, crank baits, rat, or monster worm. Anyway, I finally packed it up at 1:30  and trailered over to North Twin. The water temp there was about the same as at South Twin, but the visibility was only 6-8 inches. I caught another 12 strong fighters there, but all of them attacked a greenish “original” Z-Man chatterbait with a gold blade and a Lake Fork Tackle 4.5” Boot Tail Live Magic Shad trailer in baby bass (see photo). That's also been my 'go-to' springtime bait and color on both of the Hart Lakes. I couldn’t buy a strike on anything else, including my "normal" ‘go-to’ baits for the Twins. I finally stopped fishing at 6:00, having boated a total of 24 bass (both lakes), with all but one dink between 1.5 and 3.25 pounds. The day wasn’t what I had imagined or wanted, but it was still an overall fun day. The wind did come up around 4:00, and the temperature dropped about 10-15 degrees, but it never rained.  Nothing harvested. I wonder where all the big girls were. I never saw anything resembling a fish on my graph. I did see a big wild hog, 4 deer, a bunch of geese, herons, and a pileated woodpecker. (A special thanks to Bob Scheidemann!)

Posted By: Tom Dillon

Apr 16 2017

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Tom,

Nice report highlighting vast differences in two lakes only yards apart and I appreciate the cow slobber observation.  The picture of your go-to chatterbait is almost identical to mine, same colors but a different brand of paddle-tail trailer.

John

Apr 17 2017

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Tom,

Sounds like a good day, other than no big girls.

Ron and I also experienced some bigtime "cow slobber" on each of our trucks at the Twins, during the recent Spring Group trip! I think the cows thought my truck was a big blue salt lick! They also ruined two of my rod soxs (sitting in the truck bed) and they carried one of John's unattended rods 50yds down the bank. 

Once again thanks for sharing your knowledge of the Cody Ranch with me, earlier this spring!

See you in May!

Bob

Apr 17 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Bob, I've had the same thing happen to my car by the cattle at Ben Wheeler Twin Lakes.At least their ear tags didn't scratch up the paint.