First Trip To Old Oaks Ranch

Apr 29 2017

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I made a last minute trip to Old Oaks the afternoon of Friday the 28th hoping that steady 17 mph winds with 25 mph gusts wouldn't render it unfishable.  I was able to launch the provided Pelican "bassbuster" boat directly into the wind with no problem.  The boat is outfitted with two removable seats and 3 or 4 different paddles. The water was dirty with sediment (not visibly stained) with 6" visibility.  In 4 1/2 hours I landed 18 bass ranging from 11 to 15 inches (9 culled), most using a white spinbait and a few others on a small crankbait or swimbait.  As mentioned in an earlier report, many of the fish seemed to grab only the swimbait tail and release it as they neared the boat.  I had probably 4 or 5 tails bitten off.  The spinbait had a higher hook-up ratio.  It probably took 30 bites to hook the 18.

Since this was my first trip here, it took me a while to find the pattern; the bass were hanging out within a foot of the bank and particularly liked it under trees in the shade.  The wind made it hard for me to keep good positioning (I forgot my kayak anchor) and I would probably been able to catch more if I had been able to anchor near certain spots. 

Posted By: John Shepard

Apr 30 2017

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

thanks for the report. Will try thee soon