Weathered Out

May 10 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I fished the Twins at Cody Ranch today. Both lakes were full, with water temperatures of 75.6 and visibility about 15"-18" in the north lake but only about a foot in South Twin. I never saw the sun all day. The morning was mostly calm with a heavy overcast. A light drizzle started about 2:15, but I started hearing thunder a few minutes later. The lightning was getting too close too fast, so I called it quits and trailered at 2:30 - It was just getting too dangerous to stay on the water. I fished North Twin from 6:30 until 11:00 a.m. Caught a 5-15 and a 3-02 there, plus several 12-to 14-inchers and a few dinks. A T-rigged black/blue flake Berkley Havoc 5" Pit Boss was the bait for the "6" and two big girls that hung me up and came off. Even with a heavy rod and 65# braid, I couldn't turn them. Never saw either one. Both hit in 6-7 feet of water next to standing timber. On South Twin, I boated a 3-14 for my big fish there, but hooked another two I couldn't handle. One picked up my Pit Boss in 6-7 feet of water next to a standing tree trunk. I got a good hook set, but lost her due to my own stupiditiy. She jumped and threw the Pit Boss back at me while I was trying to lock the handle of my net. Definitely a 7+. The other one I never saw, but was very strong - one of those that, when you set the hook, pull back just as hard and never turn; she almost took my rod and reel away before "timbering me." Caught two between 2 and 3 lbs, plus 3 or 4 smaller fish. Lost 2 strong fish in open water on black/blue weightless, wacky-rigged Senkos because I set the small hook back into the worm (even using shrink-wrap tubing). About half of my hits on both lakes were short strikes.

What worked:  the Pit Boss, Senkos, HB frog, chatter bait Yellow Magic (bone), vintage purple Mister Twister Lunker Buzz II buzzbait
What didn't work:  Zara Super Spook, gold Rapala, jig & pork eel (black), chrome/chartreuse/red throat Rattletrap, Ribbit frog, wacky-rigged 12" worm, and the weather

Total boated and released: 18

Sent from my iPad

Posted By: Tom Dillon

May 11 2017

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Tom sounds like you tied into a few of the big girls that we failed to find back in March! I'm sure you'll get them next time!

Bob

May 13 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Thanks, Bob. I sure hope so - that'll be tomorrow!

Tom