Fun Afternoon at Old Oak Ranch - June 16

Jun 17 2017

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Kicked off the Father’s Day weekend by introducing my guest Tim Harvey to what PWF is all about! We arrived at this nice property and started fishing at 1:30PM, after stopping for a great BBQ at “The Truth” (ranked #10 on the TM top 50) on the west side of Brenham.

Skies mostly sunny with a few scattered clouds, air temps in the high 90’s and occasional wind from the S (welcome gusts up to 5mph). Lake was near full with local patches of hydrilla and another aquatic plant. Water stained with  ~ 2 ft of clarity.

We fished from the bank and circled the 5-acre lake twice. Between us we caught 34 frisky bass, each lost another 3 or so, and like the preceding reports, also had another dozen or so play with the tail of our soft plastic to within a 10 feet of the shore before abandoning the bait. Most of the fish were in the 14 – 16’ range with 6 or so caught in the 17 – 19” range. The big one of the day was a beautiful 20” stout LMB caught near the northeast side of the island late in the afternoon.

All of our success came on two types of offerings: 1) split shot or carolina rigged green pumpkin or watermelon colored senko style plastics (Zman Hula Sticks, Zinkers and TRS’s) rigged on 2/0 Trapper finess hooks and 2) chartreuse/white chatter baits with small white or smoke paddle tail or fluke trailers.

We found the most consistent action on the east bank (including casting as far as we could toward the island) and off of the dam (especially around the submerged logs). Bite was constant from 1:30 till 7PM and then promptly shut down. We tried several other lures including topwaters, before calling it a day at 7:45PM.

I am looking forward to returning to this beautiful property soon.

Bob

Posted By: Robert Scheidemann

Jun 19 2017

Jason Grant

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

How was the BBQ?

Jun 20 2017

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great BBQ! Get there early! Only open 11am till they run out of smoked meat Fri - Sun. My buddy had a brisket and garlic sausage* plate and I had my usual….the "el jefe"** sandwich (Brisket and sausage topped with coleslaw on a freshly baked bun! Set us up for a great afternoon of fishing!

* They have three types of smoked sausage.

** I posted a pic of this baby on a BlackJack Ranch Report last year. If you politely ask they will also add pulled pork to the sandwich, which makes it a killer!