Real Solid Day at Hidden Springs

Jun 28 2017

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

We fished Hidden Springs on Saturday, June 24th.  There were some big thunderstorms that moved through the area during the night, and we followed the big storm as we drove down from the Lake Fork area, getting a great lightning show along the way.  Fortunately, it kept going, and we only had a little light rain to deal with.  And, for late June, we had cloudy skies and temps that only got into the low 80's during the day; perfect!!

The lake was in great shape when we arrived about 6:00 am.  Water temps ranged from 83 to 85 during the day, with 4-5 feet of visibility.  The main weed in this lake is a stringy weed that really fouls any kind of spinning lure or crankbait; even topwaters are tough if you can't see where the weeds are due to waves and low light conditions.  We started fishing topwaters and had 2 in the boat before we left the ramp area.  My guest was using a white yellow magic, and i was using a bone spook type bait.  topwater action lasted for a couple of hours and then just stopped.  We switched over to watermelon flukes and various colors of senkos, but the flukes were the best bait for the day.  We caught a few on texas rigs, and finished up the day with various bone colored topwaters.  tryed spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, but the weeds made them hard to work.

Our fish count was 44, with 26 harvested.  Our largest fish were 6.82, 4.88, 4.66, 4.60, 4.51, and another 5-6 pounder that was barely hooked and got off just as we were trying to net it.  Most of the larger ones came on the bone topwaters.  

My Lowrance units were showing "snow" below 11 feet.  I've seen this before on PWF lakes, but never on Lake Fork.  I assume it's some kind of thermocline, but whatever it is, we did not catch any fish below that level.  There are several brush piles in the lower end of the lake in 15-20 feet of water, but we caught nothing out of them.  that is very unusual for a lake that does not have a lot of brush (like Timber Lake).  normally, if you have a brush pile, there will be fish there.  But we tried these several times and got zero bites.  

Great day on a beautiful property.  Can't wait to go back again.

Posted By: James Stewart

Jun 28 2017

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fun day with topwater, cant beat that.

Jun 29 2017

Jess Mowery

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hey James how did the fish look? I had a great numbers day there in the early spring, including one fish over 8, but they were all really skinny. I'd like to go back if they have gained some girth. 

Jun 29 2017

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

i would say a little skinny; certainly not as chunky as the ones at Lakeside.  if i have time tonight, i'll see if i can post a couple of pictures.

Jun 29 2017

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Here are the 2 largest ones.

Jun 30 2017

Jess Mowery

Fry

Number of Posts :

They look better than they did in February.  Thanks!