Saturday, Jul 8th @ Crockett – Melody Acres (braved the heat for a productive day)

Jul 11 2017

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Spent Friday night in the lodge/house at Melody Acres.  Fished on and off much of the day on Saturday under mostly sunny skies and zero wind.  It was a hot one, so we took a few extended breaks.  Chased off by threatening skies and impending thunderstorms around 5 or 6 PM.  We had a productive day fishing – landing 30 overall with 13 “unders” harvested.  My wife only caught seven, but made them count, setting her PB at 5-14, then completely busting it with a 7-5!  Besides the two bigger ones, we had six in the 3-4 lb size, the rest were quite a bit smaller.  Productive lures included swimbaits, spinnerbaits, and Senkos.

I would echo what Steve said in his post about handling the fish in these conditions - to me they seemed to fight like crazy initially and then give out a little quicker and seemed to take a second to recover after releasing, so we tried to keep their time out of the water to a minimum.

This lake has a lot of shoreline character and along with all of the grazing farm animals and wide variety of birds, it just makes for a nice outing.  The water is dark, tannic tea colored with about 2ft visibility with no surface vegetation.

As others have stated, Patty and Isa are wonderful hosts and welcoming people.  We really appreciated the fresh eggs (grass fed) and a watermelon!  The house has all you need for your stay and the AC and showers work great.  I am thankful for PWF and for owners like Patty and Isa at Melody Acres.

Posted By: Mark Daugherty