Slow but good sizes

Aug 05 2017

Rodney Schroeder

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Got on water about 6:30 and within 30 minutes had a 17" and 21" on my first time to use a Popping Perch.  Missed making a good hook set on 4-5 more.  Wind was almost non-existent most of the morning and made for a very warm morning.  Fish were scattered and only able to boat a total of 6 with two being harvested and the other 4 being 17", 21" and two 22". All were in good shape with a decent belly. I guess I need to get a set of decent scales but guessing would say from 3-6 #'s.  this new to me hollow bait created some viscious strikes but was hard for me to get a good hook set.  Don't know if it is normal for this bait but after 5-10 casts the bait would be almost full of water and have to be squeezed to force out the vent hole.

Posted By: Rodney Schroeder

Aug 06 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Rodney, are you waiting a second or two after the strike to set the hook, like you do with a hollow body frog? If not, try it. Also, having to squeeze the water out is not really unusual.Glad you got some nice fish!

Aug 06 2017

Rodney Schroeder

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thanks Tom.  First few strikes were so explosive had to really put on the brakes on a faster hook set. Some actually ran several feet but I think should have picked a little more slack. Tried to make sure I could feel the fish before set but excitement got the best part of me.  Unfortunatley, and as usually, had one on for 10-15 seconds that not only pulling drag but my little Pelican until it buried into the moss.  Overall size of fish has really improved since my first time there when first joind the club. I think double digits are going to be common on this lake very soon.  If i could get of the road working and finish catch-ups at the house plan on spending some more time here.