First time at DLE

Aug 14 2017

Bryan Rumfield

Fry

Number of Posts :

WhatThis was my first (definitely not my last) trip to this property. First off, let me start off by saying that this place is really nice and very well maintained. We got a chance to meet the owner and he was super nice and welcoming told us a little about how the lakes came about in building them. 

So I took a guest out there for the day to fish this great property. We got on the water a little after 6:30. He insisted on throwing top waters for a bit as I started out with brush hogs and worms. He got a couple small hits on top but didn't ever boat one. I caught a few 2+ pounders on watermelon seed brush hog. We started by the trees right by the boat ramp and worked our way down the lake. It was a "slower" morning (hot and humid with zero wind). We were averaging about one fish every 30 minutes. Right at 10:30 when we were about to take our break before the afternoon fish that's when we landed a 7.12lb. Caught it on a drop shot rig using a trick worm, june bug color. We were pumped as that, at the time, was the biggest fish either of us had ever caught. We decided to call it a morning shortly after that catch.

We headed back out to the lake around 3:30pm. We were greeted by the owner and talked a little about previous catches and what had been working for previous fishermen. He said that deep diving cranks and slow rolling worms and creature baits on the bottom had seemed to be working. So why not try, right? Who would know better? So I started off with a deep diving crank, blue gill color. My buddy decided to try a shaky head worm with the same june bug color. Again, catching a fish or 2 every 30-40 minutes. We were alternating between cranks, worms, and creatures. After a long, hot day, we were about to pack it in around 7:40pm. That's when the big one struck! Caught a massive 10.03lb on the shaky head june bug color worm. We were pumped! After getting her in and weighed, we decided to pack it in for the day. Two fish over 7lbs. and several over 2.5, we figured it was a great day. 

What worked: just about any DARK plastic. Black and blue creature bait. June bug color worms. Blue gill colored deep diving crank. 

What didn't work: swim baits, chatter bait, and any light colored bait.

Posted By: Bryan Rumfield

Aug 15 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

A great day indeed - congratulations for boating that beatiful DD!

Aug 15 2017

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Man, those fish are eating!!  When we were there for the fish fry, I caught a 7.75 that had a 10 pound head, and the fish we shocked using the club's shock boat were mostly below average.  Looks like they've been feasting on Quarter Pounders since that time!!

Aug 16 2017

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bryan,

Truly a fish of a lifetime. Great job!