Fun Morning at Old Oaks Ranch - August 18

Aug 18 2017

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fellow member John S. and I arrived at dawn and were on the water at sunrise. John fished out of the property's boat and I fished out of my Chupacabra! Note that you will need to bring a paddle if you plan to use the boat on the property (we couldn't locate the three paddles that were on the bank the last time we fished here).

Morning started with calm water and no wind. Water temp 85F with clarity of ~3ft. Submerged weed encountered in all of the shallow areas (appeared to be hydrilla). Occasional cloud passed overhead but mostly sunny with SW wind picking up slightly by 10AM.

Action sporadic and came in waves throughout the morning….no real pattern established. We each caught 17 LMB with most ranging between 12-16". John caught the big one of the day 19.25". We had a couple between 16-18" as well as a couple of dinks. Couldn't locate the big ones today! 

We had some success with topwater poppers, chatterbait with paddle tail trailers, whacky rigged worms and stickbaits, and a couple of strikes on cranks, lipless cranks and drop shot set ups. Fished the entire tank and all of the action occurred in the southern half of the lake (from the island to the dam).

Bob

P.S. We rolled into Brenham to enjoy some Truth BBQ only to find it closed today. Trucked down the road towards Htown and found another great BBQ joint along 290 in Hempstead. The place is called "1st Class BBQ" and their pork ribs are awesome!!!!

Posted By: Robert Scheidemann