New PB (a DD!) at DLE East Lake!! 8/20/17

Aug 21 2017

Daniel Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

8/20/17 is a day I'll never forget! I picked DLE specifically as it would've been my late dad's 70th birthday and I wanted to catch a big one. I got out on the water about 7:30 after a brief struggle with the trolling motor and boated four fish in the first 30 minutes on 2 deep diving crankbaits (chart 6xd and livetarget blue craw), including a 5 lber with a huge head and a 4 lb chunk.  All four were between the dam and the little island. My buddy Matt showed up at 8:15 and things went ice cold as it got progressively hotter. I was trying everything - black/blue senkos, june bug shaky heads, black buzz bait, craw 8XD, etc. with no success. At just before 11a I switched to my go to sexy shad squarebill and started throwing around the stumps just south of the island. AND THERE SHE WAS. She didn't attack it but once she was on she fought hard! I knew she was a pig but wasn't sure how big until I finally got a peek at her profile. WOW!! She dove back down and I got her close to the boat and Matt missed netting her the first time but then was able to in the brief mayhem. ABSOLUTE TANK. 10.02LBS!!!! My PB by almost 4 pounds. Pic below.

I was giddy! Then 10 minutes later a strong 5.5 pounder that liked to jump (pic below).

And then 3 hours more without any action but we didn't care! Best fishing day ever. 

I've fished 4 other lakes since my last post at Rough Creek Lodge on 5/13 but failed to post reports (although David Vaughn did for our time at Pecan Springs Ranch on 7/16). So real quick:

Malouf Lake on 5/24 caught 7 nice bass in timber and weed lines mainly on sexy shad bluegill crank and rattle and chart/red spinnerbait, biggest was only 3 lbs but fun fish.

Twin Lakes on 6/30 caught 10 total between East and West lakes close to banks all on bluegill colored baits, nice 6 lber on East but more fish on West!

Timber Lake on 7/8 caught 8 fighters all between 2 & 4 lbs. on shad swimbait, green pumpkin senko, red craw and sexy shad crankbaits.

Pecan Springs Ranch on 7/16 caught 6 but 4 were dinks, nice 4.5 lber on chart/white spinner right on the bank. 

A couple more pics:

Thanks Steve for building such an impressive club and for affording me and the other members the opportunity to catch the bass of a lifetime!

Posted By: Daniel Curtis

Aug 21 2017

Jackson Bean

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great job on the new PB and that thing is a tank!

Aug 21 2017

David Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Daniel,

What a great fish, congrats.

Especially since you were out celebrating your late Fathers birthday….....extra special.

Heck, we might be kin, get my cell number from Alexander and give me a call to discuss the family tree or in my case, more like a lay down on an east Texas lake somewhere.    

Aug 22 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Beautiful bass, Daniel - congrats on your new PB!

Tom

Aug 22 2017

Shayne Wallace

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Congratulations!  Man! That place has become Jurassic Park.