DLE East Aug. 2017 ( 11.6 lber )

Aug 24 2017

Dan Phifer

Fry

Number of Posts :

Well, I would say we had a pretty good outing for our first PWF trip.  We didn't know what to expect, with it being the middle of August.  The reports seem to indicate that we would not catch a ton of fish, but had a shot at a DD.

Southwest Construction Services decided to join PWF so that we would have another option for customer outings.  Naturally we needed to try it ourselves before we took customers. Tim also wanted to give his son, Tripp, a chance to catch his personal best before he goes off to college.

They went for a short 1/2 day trip Thursday afternoon and I came out Friday morning for our full day.   It didn't take Tripp long to catch his new PB.  He caught this 5.5 lbs bass on a Charteuse/Blue Back 6XD:

Tim got in on the action with this 4+ on a 8" Junebug Zoom Lizard:

They caught a few others chunks that afternoon, including 2 under 16".  It was enough activitiy in a few hours that we were even more excited about the next day.

We had the boat in the water before 6:30am on Friday, ready to go.  We fished the timber covered humps near the ramp. We also threw top waters at them.  Nothing seemed to get them going early.  We meandered our way to mid lake and were fishing some of the standing timber and brush across the lake from the residence.  Very pretty place, by the way. 

I was fishing a Texas rigged 10.5" Ol Monster in Junebug/Red, when the action heated up a little.  Well, maybe a lot.  Line went swimming off and I set the hook.  Line shot toward deep water, so I knew this was a bigger fish.  The fish surfaced a few times and each time it looked bigger.  The last time was right by the boat and it came straight out of the water.  It looked like it jumped 3' high and it's tail was still in the water.  When I lipped it, and it's bottom lip was as big around as my thumb, I knew it was a giant.  My day was made, no matter what happened the rest of the day.  I had just landed my personal best, and I have been fishing bass tournaments for 20+ years.  This girl weighed 11 lbs - 6 oz:

The fishing was tough up until noon, but we would still catch one here and there.  I think we had 14 fish at noon, some of them being solid 3-4.5 lbs fish.  Tim and Tripp had to leave shortly after that. 

I decided to stick around into the afternoon to see if I could add to an already record breaking day.  We had got stuck fishing the big baits after the 11+, so I decided to down size a little and see if I couldn't catch a few more fish.  I should have done this earlier.  I caught them pretty good, on a green pumpkin senko.  The little fish, really liked it.  I did catch a few 3+ lbs. fish and added this 5 lbs 2 oz fish:

I probably caught 10+ fish over 16" in the afternoon and for the day we had 16 fish under 16" that we removed.

Thanks to Tim and Tripp for sharing this outing with me.  It was fun.

Thanks Cole Porter for turning us on to PWF.

Posted By: Dan Phifer

Aug 24 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Congratulations, Dan.What a great time you had with your son, and a beautiful 11-06 as an added bonus - wow!

Sep 15 2017

Dan Phifer

Fry

Number of Posts :

Tom, thanks.  It was my Boss's son, but we did have a great time.  Only thing that would have been better, is for one of them to catch the big girl.