Great Day, hot!

Sep 01 2017

Nicholas Borowski

Fry

Number of Posts :

Now that the summer heat is starting to fade (or at least I thought it was) I decided to hit Elm Creek up.  Water is low, about 3-4 feet lower compared to my last trip.  Water clarity was only 1-2 feet, water was slight stained.  Wind was perfect….maybe 2-3 mph if that.  I caught 28 fish, about 20 of those coming off top water and the rest off drop shot.  Biggest fish was around 4.5 lbs, lost two other decent 4-5 pound fish on the drop shot (couldn't get the hook set for some reason).  A majority of the 28 fish were culls….but I was happy to get some bigger fish.  I know there's monsters at Elm, just didn't get them this time.  Top water action was off Yellow Magic….when they got used to that, I switched up to a Yo-Zuri Clear Prizm and hooked a double (second time this year with two fish on a top water—-other time was at Escondido).  I booked a whole day, but the heat wouldn't let up and decided to head in at 12 PM lol.  Owners came out and were extremely nice.  Stated they wanted to cull as much as they can….I don't blame them.  Lots of small fish here….but like I said, I've "seen," caught, and lost some big ones here!

Posted By: Nicholas Borowski

Sep 02 2017

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Nicholas.  Good to see other members fishing Gallant Elms. Good report also. I also have caught some nice bass here. Rattletrap and square billed crank baits have worked for me. 

Bill 

Sep 03 2017

Nicholas Borowski

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks Bill, I do like Elm quite a bit.  Like I said, if we could do a PWF weekend where we really cull out those small fish I think we could make some good progress towards making it a better fishery!  I think that lake is underrated imo

Sep 03 2017

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

I totally agree. In Feb 2016, I caught on over 22" and was in 3rd place in the contest - just for a little while. 

Bill