Great day at Hidden Springs

Oct 01 2017

Michael Johnson

Fry

Number of Posts :

My son and I had a really fun day at Hidden Springs. Part of the fun of PWF is figuring out a new lake in one day's time. This is a very large lake, and we thought that we would see some early top water action, but no such luck. We started getting some action on Blue Black Senko's, but they were smaller fish that we culled. We noticed that we were getting pretty low on that color of Senko's, and green pumpkin/ red flake were not producing. In an act of pure desperation, we went back to the truck and rummaged up some black/blue 6" Zoom lizards. Sometimes there is a lot of luck in fishing. My son was rewarded with a PB 8-3! He also got a 5-11, and I got a 4-11, we ended up culling 23 fish, and probably caught about 20 more that were above the 14" slot limit. Aside from our trolling motor battery dying, and having to haul butt to town to buy a new battery, it was a really great day!

As an aside, if this were my pond to manage, I would put some grass carp in there. Much of the lake is barely fishable due to the amount of weed growth. It looked like there were a lot of stumps that were just too covered with weeds to fish. But regardless if grass carp ever get put in there, we will be back!

Posted By: Michael Johnson