Beautiful Post Front Morning at Old Oaks Ranch and the Fish Were Interested (10/17/17)

Oct 17 2017

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

We pulled onto the ranch at 7AM and started throwing topwaters onto the calm, steaming water (post front air temp 48F) from the west bank at 7:15AM. John S. worked south to the middle of the dam and I circled north toward the skinny water. We had 45 minutes of fun throwing poppers & chug’n spooks. Together we had half a dozen blowups and landed five decent size fish.

With the sun up, air warming and a slight breeze kicking in we decided to launch our watercrafts. John used the property boat and I shoved off on my Chupacabra. Over the next 4 hours we collectively tested all of the tank having fun throwing medium and shallow diving cranks, chatter’s (with paddletail or crawfish/bug trailers), and rattletraps/lipless cranks. Good consistent bite from 8 until 10:30, when it became sporadic till our noon departure. Banks, submerged wood cover, island, patches of weeds and deep spots just north of the dam all produced! Both of us tried throwing worms/senko style sticks over the course of the morning (weightless, wacky, T-rigged, Carolina) with no takers!

Between the two of us we landed over 45 LMB under a beautiful Bluebird sky, with several landed in the 16-19” range. John landed the big one of the day, measuring 21”. Approximately 20 of the LMB would have been candidates for culling, but no bass were harvested (as per the PWF instructions).

We stopped at 1st Class BBQ just south of HWY 290 on HWY 6 (just north of Hempstead) for lunch on the way back to Htown. Great brisket, coarse grind sausage and award-winning pork ribs! Highly recommend if you are passing by!

Bob

Posted By: Robert Scheidemann