Fun afternoon on Fox

Oct 18 2017

Jamie Kechely

Fry

Number of Posts :

Got my second shot at Fox this afternoon.  On the water just after noon and had to head in around 5 as had to be back in Austin for a meeting.

Very good afternoon.  Caught a total of 29 with 12 culled.  5 or 6 over 3 lbs with two largest at 4.5 and 4.6.  Both of those were really nice fish and put up a good fight.

Majority of fish came on Whacky rig and clear up in the norther tip where the lake narrows.  I was dragging the whacky across what I presume is the creek bed.  One of the big fish came from there.  Last hour or so was spent along the grass line on the south side of lake.  Caught two 3+ fish and one of the big fish on three straight casts.  Learned a valuable lesson as on very next cast broke off on the hook set on what felt like.another good sized fish.  Should have retied.

Started out with football jig in deeper part of lake looking for bigger fish and caught one fish but not big.    No bites on suspended jerk bait.  Once I got on the whacky bite it was good enough that I never went away from it.  Using 5-6" green/watermelon stick baits with some gold fleck in one and red fleck in the other.  

Broke the rod tip off one of my lower quality rods hauling in a fish and not even mad about it.  Wish I wouldn't have had that meeting.  Would have liked to see how the day finished the last 90 minutes or so.

Posted By: Jamie Kechely

Oct 19 2017

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Sounds like a great day. Do you think there would be any problem launching a boat off a trailer at this lake? A small one.

Thanks,

Steve

Oct 19 2017

Jamie Kechely

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hi Steve.  Others have asked the same question.  It is not as steep as I recalled it the first time.  Muddy at edge and water gets deep real quick IMO.  I think it could be a challenge off the trailer but I don't have that much experience.  The jon boat onsite is newer and great shape so if it didn't work you would still have and option.

Oct 19 2017

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thank you. Will try it . Only about an hour from home