Fast Start

Feb 06 2018

Doug Johnson

Fry

Number of Posts :

With deer season over, just had to get out and fish a little.  Arrived at the lake about 1:30.  Water is down 5 or 6 feet making it difficult to launch my boat so be prepared to wade though a little mud.  Took out the fly rod and started with a chartreuse Clouser.  They were all over the fly.  Caught 7 in the first 30 minutes so I thought it was going to be an unbelievable day.  All fish in the cull category so took all of them out of the lake.  Conditions were overcast and a temp in the mid 50's.  Then everything got flipped upside down.  the clouds suddenly parted and the wind began to really howl.  And the bite completely shut off.  After fighting the wind I finally came back to the truck to get a baitcasting rod and try down deep with soft plastics.  Managed a couple of more fish (both small) and then succumbed to the wind and called it a day.  Can't wait for some warm spring days to get back on this lake.  It's one of my favorite places to fish in the spring with turkey's putting on a show on the damn while you're playing a bass at the same time.  Fun.

Posted By: Doug Johnson