7 Pounder & Cull Me the Breeze 4/14/18

Apr 17 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Saturday 4/14/18

Wind is not your friend when it is blowing you from one end of the lake to the other at breakneck speed. We went through trolling motor batteries again similar to Blackjack winds the previous weekend. Started chunking our favorite baits right off the bat with no success. One hour later not one fish to account for…...............we then went to the secret weapon…...........the Bass Pro Tournament Series Candy Corn (senko style bait we call the CHEETO) weightless and weedless rig. Visibility is very good on this spring fed lake. I would say 6 plus feet at least. These bass obviously had never seen the Cheeto and it was music to their little ears :) Do bass have ears? Lateral lines are their ears I think…........Anyway 45 bass all total with biggest at 7 pounds…........38 of those were culls and as we were finishing out our day the owner stated he was tickled that we had removed those pesky little undersize stinkers to help manage his lake for bigger bass. We chopped it up a bit with the ranch owner and he was super kind and friendly. He mentioned that he is probably adding Tilapia soon. What an awesome club lake. Just beautiful. The Henderson area has got 3 great locations we just love to fish, Dogwood, Yates and now Laneville…..................club members in close proximity are truly blessed. 

We read the report on the new Crockett Hickory Creek Lake….......actually the 2 lakes (big and small) there. We are going to be there this Friday and we can't wait based on the 1st recorded post report we read. What and incredible day that only a few on the planet ever get to experience. Hope to have the same success…...........minus the lunch experience. We are going to strap a cookie or a bag of chips around our neck because we don't plan on stopping to eat lunch. But that Mexican food did sound good…..........can't wait. See everyone on Saturday at the Member Fish Fry and Culling Event at Dogwood. 

Posted By: Philip Pruitt

Apr 17 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Philip,

Congrats on a great trip to the Laneville property.  I have never fished there but hope to do so at some point in the future.

I have to give almost all of the credit for the great day at Crockett Hickory Creek Lake to my good friend Chase.  Chase is an incredible fisherman and quite skilled and absolutely puts me to shame.  He caught the vast majority of our haul on Friday.

For those interested, Chase caught WAY over 100 fish this past Friday on the 3/8 ounce Strike King Hack Attack spinnerbait in "Potlick" color.  It is all of 4.99 at Academy.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/strike-king-hack-attack-38-oz-spinnerbait#repChildCatSku=110619613

I tried chatterbaits, poppers, and a variety of baits and nothing else worked even remotely as well as the Hack Attack spinnerbait.  The big fish of the day an 8 pounder from the 31 acre lake did come on a 3/8 ounce War Eagle spinnerbait in white color with a white swimbait trailer. But again, even while I was fishing the white spinnerbait Chase would easily catch 3 bass to my 1 during that time.

Chase fished the Hack Attack with no trailer and burned it extremely fast very high in the water column almost waking the bait with no trailer.  He was using an 8.1:1 gear ratio.  Basically, you could not reel the spinnerbait too fast.

Best of luck at the Crockett property!  The 31 acre lake is a great numbers lake.  We also walked over to the water on the other side of the bridge and it is completely loaded with bass and they would hit a topwater popper.  Make sure and spend time to fish the water in the small area across from the bridge as you are driving up to the owner's house.  There are just TONS of fish right there.

Apr 17 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Murrie thanks for the reply, we hope to have your good fortune and yank on lots of green lips :) Going to gets some of those Hack Attacks for sure! Can't wait to post a good one…............... 

Apr 18 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Philip - Earlier this year, I saw on video where Jacob Wheeler was fishing a longer worm (little longer than the one you have highlighted above) in shallow water for spawning bass and it was an orange color and he was also calling it a CHEETO.  He was also fishing the worm weightless but very high in the water column and just flicking it and the bass would come up and eat it at or near the surfact.   It was pretty neat to watch.

Do you fish yours on a finesse spinning rod?  Also, do you fish it high in the water column or go ahead and let it sink to the bottom and then twitch it?

Apr 18 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Also meant to ask if you prefer the 5 3/8" size or the 7 1/8" size Bass Pro worm?

Apr 19 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

I like the biggest one because it throws better weightless….............more casting distance and it attracts the bigger bite although some little bass out there think they are big and hit it anyway. Go to our Black Jack post last year and there are pictures of the bait….....................we caught around 72 on it…..............they had not ever seen anything like it and it was by far getting way more strikes than anything else we tried. We finally went straight cheetoing after we found the pattern.

Apr 19 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks again, Philip.

Enjoy your upcoming trip to the new Crockett property.   Can't wait to read your fishing report.

I bet they will crush your CHEETO over there.