Indian Hollow on 5/19/18

May 21 2018

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Took my college soccer playing daughter to Indian Hollow on Saturday 5/19.  We left Emory (after hooking up my boat) at 3:30, stopped at Whataburger in Paris for breakfast, and made it to the lake about 6:00.  It was calm with a little fog in the area.  My daughter caught a fish on her 1st and 3rd casts, so I knew we were at the right place.  We fished until 12:30, cleaned fish, and then drove into Boswell for some really good Mexican food.  Got back to the lake about 3:00, and decided to let the wind blow and do a little research with the Lowrance electronics.  I put up the bimini top, and used the remote on my Ultrex to drive around the lake and look for fish holding structure (note:  there is a lot of it).  After that we got back to fishing until dusk.

The water temps were in the low 80's, very clear, and a tough, stringy weed growing out to about 6-7 feet deep.  That stuff gets on everything, and just doesn't want to come off.

We caught fish on several lures, but the most productive ones were (in order):  bone yellow magic, c-rig with a watermelon fluke, purple trick worm t-rigged, white spinnerbait.  My daughter used the yellow magic most of the day, and caught fish on it all day long.  I was looking for bigger fish (WHERE ARE THEY????), so I was fishing the deeper brush looking for some of the bigger fish that must live there.  Combined (and it was about equal), we caught 90, with 42 harvested.  At one point, when we were cruising while sitting under the bimini top, i marked a big brushpile between the island and the little cabin, and we finally went and fished it about 6:00pm.  I threw into it 5 times, and caught 5 fish, including our biggest which was 4 pounds.  On cast #6, i got a bite, but missed it and got hung up.   So i went over it to get my t-rig, and i guess that spooked them, because I didn't get another bite from there.  Also, there was at least 5 times where we both had a fish on at the same time.  

I had a wonderful day with my daughter; I'm so happy that she still likes to fish with her dad.  And as long as we have lakes like Indian Hollow in PWF, I think our yearly trips will continue.  Already thinking about the next one!!

Posted By: James Stewart

May 21 2018

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great memories James.  I have fished Indian hollow once before, and had the same results.  I am wondering where all the big fish reports are though?  Most the time you see #’s and fish up to 4lbs.  There has to be some big girls in there.