The PB’s (Pruitt Brothers) Get PWF Double PB’s (Personal Best) @ Heartland 10-10 (SEE UPDATED PIC OF A 14 FISH STRINGER STORY)

Jul 16 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Notice the new pic with the very impressive replica 14 bass stringer - you will have to get Craig Brown to tell you the story about the history regarding this impressive stringer of bucket mouths if and when you book a 10-10 trip. We were blown away upon the site of this display. Can't say we have ever had this kind of good fortune in a day but we are not ruling it out. smiley

FYI - “It Is Cotton Pickin Hot in Texas” but there are still opportunities to capitalize on getting a new PB if you are willing to get out there fight the elements. Hard work and perseverance will pay off.

Showed up in Marshall, Texas after several discussions with fellow PWF member Shayne Wallace about where my brother and I might meet up with him and his son Michael for a little "bass buddy bonding" weekend. Knowing what I know now, all I can say is Shayne you do know how to pick em. Four strong lakes on this premier property available for member reservations. PWF Member Bill Butler also joined us to check out the 10-10. I won’t steal their thunder and tell their story but those boys are real good and they put some awesome 5 fish stringers together. Look for that post from Shayne and Bill soon. Good time was had by all. Craig Brown was an amazing host. We enjoyed hearing him tell stories about the ranch and what those lakes can produce to those that are willing to get out there and give it a strong effort.

OK, let’s get to it.

Day 1 - My brother had an incredible 5 fish stringer with one 9 1/2 stretching out to 27 inches, one 7, two 6’s and a 5 1/2 pounder for a 34 pound 5 fish stringer. Not too shabby for a grueling 14 hour grind in the intense heat. The 9 1/2 was caught at 5:15 pm, so it took most of the day to hit pay dirt for him. Wayne has caught many double d’s over his 50 plus years of angling but this bucket mouth broke his PWF PB by a pound and a half.

What didn’t work: everything he threw with one exception!

What did work: a 6th sense square bill blue and chartreuse crank bait! That pretty much sums up the 5 fish stringer catch with that one bait and the majority of the other 14 nice size bass he caught for his long day totals. See the pics…......ps: you might want to add that bait your arsenal if you don’t already have one. I ended up with 10 fish for the day with the biggest weighing in around 4 1/2. I was disappointed but convinced day 2 would flip the other way for me.

Day 2 - I had an incredible 5 fish stringer with one 9 1/2, two 5 1/2’s, a 5 and a 4 1/2 pounder hitting in around a 30 pound sack. Not too shabby for a grueling 13 hour grind in the intense heat. The 9 1/2 was caught at 5:45 pm so it also took most of the day to hit pay dirt for me. My new favorite 3 words - GET THE NET!

What didn’t work: everything I threw with one exception!

What did work: a big KVD square bill black and chartreuse crank bait that I helped myself to out of my brothers tackle box! That pretty much sums up the 5 fish stringer catch with that one bait and the majority of other 5 nice size bass I caught for my long day totals. See the pics…......ps: you might want to add that bait your arsenal if you don’t already have one. Oh and brother you ain’t getting this KVD back. Wayne had a total of 3 fish for the day so it was the total flip I predicted. My previous PB was 9 1/4 from last year at Dogwood East. What a 2 day memory! I literally wanted to quit after day one, but after seeing the day ones results including team Wallace and Butler weight/numbers………….it made me even more determined to keep that line wet….........

Recommendations & Thanks: Join a relative, a friend, a member or members for a "bass buddy bonding" trip on a premier club lake location soon. Already planning for our next trip and new PB’s.

Thanks Steve, Keri and Cole for all that you do and for making PWF the best fishing club in the country. Special thanks to Craig Brown for making your piece of heaven available to PWF and its members. We will be back!

Jul 16 2018

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Is the chart/blk back sq bill a 2.5 or 4.0? Surely that isn't a 8.0… right?

It is interesting that y'all were catching them shallow in the middle of the day.

Jul 16 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Yes, I believe it is the KVD 8 foot diver. We were not fishing shallow much at all. That bait will wear you out but you need substantial water depth for it to work effectively! Sounds like a brick when it hits the water. Little ones run from it and big ones run to it…................everything was caught in the deeper water in channels. Very little shallow bite for us at all. Could not get our regular go to baits to produce at all. Throwing a square bill all day is a work out for sure.

Jul 16 2018

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Great report. I was fortunate to fish all four of the lakes there a two years ago. And I'm not jealous - not one little bit. LOL

Jul 16 2018

Shayne Wallace

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

It doesn't take a rocket doctor to pick these lakes.  The planning, layout, financial commitment, patience, and diligent management was started by Dr Brown and will continue to be carried on by SuperCraig!   Just glad you guys joined us "up north" guys for a weekend. I'm waiting for a lil homework from Slim and Bill so I can put together a report tomorrow night.  I thoroughly enjoyed the fellowship and fishing and those big ole stuffed baked potatoes that Wayne cooked were amazing. Craig offering to clean our culls and fry fish Saturday night just goes to show how great of a host he is on top of being a walking fishing habitat encyclopedia.  

Jul 17 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Yep, good time had by all…................anxious to see your report after your getting with Slim and Bill. You guys had some great fish and good numbers too! The only negative regarding the potatoes was waiting for them to bake after getting off the water near dark. Eating at 11 PM was kinda late. Poor planning on my part but if you remember I tried to get off of the lake around 6:00 PM to go get the potatoes prepared and started so they would be ready when we got in. I am somewhat quoting Bill now…..............."Wayne don't even think about cooking dinner when you just got done catching that 9 1/2 pound bucket mouth". Keep on fishing…............so I did and we were all staring at that oven for 2 hours waiting for them big ole taters. Amazing how good food taste when you are near starvation:) I do like my recipe and have not ever heard anyone complain yet! 

Tight Lines Shayne…..........................Looking Forward to Your Post! 

Jul 18 2018

William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Guys, I wish I could have stayed late on Saturday to see that big ole monster on Phil's face.  I couldn't have had a better time and the hospitality of Craig was second to none.  I can't wait to get together with the four of you again.  Next time, I'm not going to be satisfied with a 7 lb, I'm going for the big bass.  Thank you all for the invitation.  Posting on this forum about fishing one of these premier properties got me the invite, so thanks to PWF for giving us a forum to meet.  Great guys, good fishing and very cool Texans.  That said, Go Vols!

Jul 18 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

I love the Pruitt Brothers. Always willing to share. Good, bad or indifferent. They truly have the spirit of everything I hope from our membership. So grateful and thankful to have members like you. Thanks for all you do to help our members learn!!!

Jul 18 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Bill, yes the look on Phil’s face was priceless. He was so happy that he did not give up on throwing that big ole DVD crank bait. He is so fired up about catching a double d someday knowing he is only one cast away on the right PWF club lake somewhere for it to happen. I am throwing him out of the boat when it happens LOL. Look forward to doing a kayak trip somewhere with you in the near future. I think Shayne is doing a 10 10 fishing forum post tonight…......

Jul 18 2018

Philip Pruitt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the kind words Steve….......sharing tips and experiences is what it is all about. We want to see the PWF forum post lit up with successful trips and pictures of monster bass.   If we see big bass posted at a club location it creates a desire in us to go check a lake new to us out. If someone gets a PB from a shared tip - life is great! The 10 10 trip created lots of discussion between the 5 of us around what is new & exciting in the way of baits and techniques. Never decline a proven tip that may pay off big time someday. All good stuff. This time last year Dogwood East was on fire with big bass reports. Those fish have not gone anywhere, they just may be more finicky. My gut tells me to get back out there to confirm what we already know. A little voice in my head tells me my PB awaits me there. 

Jul 18 2018

William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I can only imagine what Phil's face looked like.  He had to be smiling from ear to ear.  Thanks for teaching me how to tie a nice leader knot and the other stuff you gave me.   You guys are awesome and I hope to fish with you again.  I'm wide open for a kayak trip, just let me know when!

Bill

Jul 18 2018

Shayne Wallace

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I don't have a cool kayak.  Guess I'll sit on the bank and throw rocks at you guys.