Post Oak Brings The Luv~

Sep 07 2018

Nathaniel Nakadate

Fry

Number of Posts :

Sunday morning. 4 AM. 

French Press of coffee on the tailgate of the truck and a couple hours of white lines north. 

An ever brief stop at a small town German bakery for a bear claw, plus an apple fritter for the drive home stash.  Still dark out.

Pull in to Post Oak a hair before first light. Park by the ramp. 

Sans wind, just glass.

Stick two bass with the already lined up fly rod one minute out of the truck. 

Aw, yea. Dancing girls.

Makes me smile.  Has been a while since bass.  Just back from Canada, Sweden, Arctic Circle, Lapland, Montana, British Columbia, and on on on.  

Yes, the rest of this earth is amazing, but I'm a Cherokee Viking Texas boy, and oh, damn I live for bass.

Unrack the canoe.

I didn't come here to fish the whole lake.  I came to be absolutely, unequivocally, rude, nasty, and rowdy

This means throwing a deer hair topwater frog fly the size of a chicken.

And only fishing the 12 inches of delineation between the  mud of the shoreline, and the water.  Sure, there are fish all through the lake, but I don't care.

Five hours of inching my way down the bank.  A couple Shiners from the cooler behind the canoe paddle as I roll.

Frog looks so good every time it spits, pops, growls, gurgles on the retrieve, this shouldn't even remotely be legal.

Some twenty raucous blow ups and plenty of them in hand.  No sowbelly's just an average of 1-3 pounds with a 4 pounder late in the morning. Nothing special.  But special. Comprende?

A lake without much features, sans a cove, and a back section on the other side of the bridge, but just plain soulful as can be.  Like many lakes.

Close to Houston, and steady as she goes day in and day out, which is ever so hard to find in the club for us down here in the south neck. 

I dig this place.  Has given me heaps of days to make sense of life, and my place in it.  I owe you Post Oak.  

Riverhorse~

Sep 07 2018

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Nice! Felt like I was right there fishing!

Love Post Oak and all the other club tanks close to Houston!

Tight lines!

Bob

Sep 08 2018

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

I haven’t fished there since the spring. Need to return 

Bill 

Sep 10 2018

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

This is one of the best lakes within 3 hours of the Houston area (which needs more club properties!) despite the lack of vegetation and obvious structure.  That said, I don't think I've been here since I met Bill there with our Predator kayaks this spring. Need to get back as it cools off.

John

Sep 10 2018

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

John. That was a good trip. I think you got a 6 pounder! I got several on shell beds. I will be going to the trip at Colgate the first week of October, but I am available other than that.

Bill

Sep 10 2018

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Bill,

I think you are really going to enjoy the group trip to Cody…great fishing on those lakes!

Bob

Sep 10 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I LOVE Cody Ranch and its lakes. I'm not going on the group trip, but am fishing Moonshine on Sunday and the Twins on Monday. I might see some of y'all on Sunday. Hope so, anyway.