James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19685
Property Name : Twin Lakes
Reservation Date : 10/20/2018 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 12/9.13
Lures Used : sexy shad square bill

I NEEDED to go catch a bass or 2, so even though we've had way too much rain, I decided to book a 1/2 day at Twin Lakes to scratch my itch.  I booked it on Friday morning, and fully expected to see an email from Steve on Saturday morning saying the lakes were closed due to flooding based on the amount of rain I saw on radar move over the area on Friday night.  

The area around the lakes were very muddy with lots of puddles, but decided to start out on the west lake, thinking that the east lake would be very muddy, and would act as a filter for the west lake.  My thoughts were correct, as there was about 2-3 feet of visibility on the west lake.  I launched into 62.4 degree water at noon; it was very cloudy, a little foggy, and wind between 5-10 mph.  Perfect.  Started out with a couple of topwaters with no luck.  Switched over to a big strike king square bill in sexy shad, and got immediate results.  I was working it very slow in the shallow water, and was catching fish every 3-4 casts.  My first fish was about 3 pounds, but my second was one to remember.  She hit the bait hard and headed for deep water.  No jump at first, so i thought maybe i had a big catfish.  About that time, the first got about halfway out of the water, and my eyes got as big as a dinner plate.  After a great battle, I finally netted her;  she measured 25.5 inches and weighed 9.13 pounds.  Continued to catch 2-4 pound fish until 2 pm, when the front came in, the sky cleared, and the wind really picked up.  Moved to the east lake about 3:30; only about a foot of visibility in it.  I did not get a bite after the front came in.  Nothing, nada.  Both lake are full; saw 65 degree water in the afternoon in the east lake.  Decided at 5 i had what i came for, so i loaded up the boat and left.

Great day with the big girl; and i almost didn't book it because of all the rain we've seen.

Oct 22 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great Fish.Congratulations. 

Oct 22 2018

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great half day and nice fish. Send pics. 

Oct 22 2018

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Congrats on the nice fish!

Bob

Oct 22 2018

Justin Anderson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great stuff!

Oct 23 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Congratulations, James - what a beautiful big girl! That's the lake where I caught my PB on April Fools' Daya few years ago.

Dec 17 2018

Mike Mehlmann

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Awesome Fish James.  Was the sexy shad with or without rattles?

Dec 18 2018

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

with rattles.  i was fishing it very slow in shallow water.  probably only 3-4 feet where she was.  

i did try something different that i wonder if it made a difference.   usually, i turn my electronics on as soon as my boat hits the water, but that morning i decided to leave them off since i'd be fishing shallow water early.  i have fished that lake several times, so i'm getting to know the lake pretty good (i haven't found any structure).  i've been thinking that fish in the private lakes don't hear the "pinging" all the time like fish in public lakes, so maybe it spooks them, especially the big ones.  just a theory, but i think i will do that from now on.