No Lightning at Post Oak This Time

Jan 19 2019

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I took a guest to Post Oak on Wednesday afternoon to introduce him to PWF but we were unable to duplicate John Egan's nice "Lightning hits twice" catch from a week before.  Weather forecast and radar both said scattered showers and that's what we had, maybe four true showers throughout the afternoon.  The heavy drizzle that lasted most of the afternoon wasn't enough to show up on radar but was enough to be annoying and to require rain gear all afternoon.  The bass weren't in much of a biting mood but we managed to catch 24; most in the 13" - 16" range and 5 dinks.  We circled the lake in our boat and didn't get a bite in any of the "deeper" spots.  All the bass came from less than 6 feet of water and most were situated 20 feet from the bank but a few were up in the sparse nearshore vegetation.  Most appeared to be males with only a few showing obvious egg bulges.  The majority were caught with craw baits or wacky worms with a few on a small crank or spinnerbait.  As John noted in his report, high water has knocked off the fish feeders and the tree trunk that has been stranded in the shallows is now perched out of the water on the dam.

It wasn't the "killer" trip that I would have liked to have impressed my guest with, but he was satisfied and was very impressed with the property, the healthy bass, and the solitude experience.  He is already planning our visit to another lake.