Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20363
Property Name : Brushy Creek Lake
Reservation Date : 02/27/2019 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6 < 2 lbs, 9 @ 2 - 6 lbs
Lures Used : frog, chugger, TRW, senko

I couldn't pass up a warm day before a cold front, so went to Kyle Brushy Creek for an afternoon of fishing in my tube.  What a beautiful day, with highs in the 70's, light winds, and partly to mostly cloudy. The water was the clearest I've seen at this property, probably 2'-3' of visibility.  At noon I started out as usual with topwater, because it's so much fun if they're hitting, but no strikes.  Then went to motor oil TRW.  I was catching a decent amount of fish up the creek to the left of the launch, but not as large as I was used to in this property.  They were all fat healthy fish, but less than 2 lbs, with one dink. I changed color on the TRW, but no difference.  Then I put on a watermelon senko and WHAM, first cast a 3 pounder.  After switching to the senko, I caught noticeably larger and more fish, and they went after it much more aggressively.  They were all located at fenceposts or floating weed islands pretty far from the shoreline, EXCEPT for the last one.  I was just about to get out with my fishing tube at 4:00 and decided to throw up against the weeds on the shoreline by the launch and hooked into the fish of the day.  A 5.6 pounder, which is really big for me.  She pulled me around in my tube, which is a fun experience.   I tried to take a selfie (attached) of the big one, but it didn't work out too well.  I was too nervous about dropping my iphone in the lake.  I got home and promptly got on Amazon and bought a selfie stick with a wrist strap for future trips.  Now I'm jinxed... no more big fish for me!

One note about this property is that it's always something different for me.  I've fished here several times, and never has the same lure/technique/location been the winner.  You have to try a lot of different things sometimes until you find the key, which is a fun challenge.  But once you figure it out it's worth the effort.

Mar 02 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Nice one! The last big fish I caught from a tube was a chain pickerel, and all I could think of was its teeth biting through the tube! It's a fun way to fish, though.

Mar 02 2019

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Bryan. I wish I had been able to join you that day. Nice looking fish. 

Bill 

Mar 02 2019

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I also thought about joining you, but tried Fox Lake instead with limited success. Scheduled to fish March 19th there. Hope the water warms some by then. LIke you, I seem to catch fish with different lures and techniques on that lake. Still wish Bo would tell us the secret.

Good job.

Mar 02 2019

Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I think whatever worked so well for Bo that day probably won't work on the next trip.  That's been my experience.  That's what makes it a REAL secret… and makes it FUN.  More than any other property I've fished, the secret changes every time! It really forces me to be a more versatile fisherman, which is a good thing.

Bryan

Mar 03 2019

Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Steve, let me know if you’re looking for somebody to fish with on the 19th and I’ll join you.

Bryan

Mar 03 2019

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Bryan,

I believe that I invited another member to fish when I made my reservation.  Ask to join and we can fish on the 19th. I do have a 14 foot fiberglass boat that two can easily fish out of.

Steve