Thursday, Mar 7th - Ben Wheeler - Twin Lakes (water still cold, fish still sluggish)

Mar 10 2019

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

We fished Twin Lakes on Thursday, Mar 7th.  Started on the West and finished the day on the East.  Fishing was pretty tough - water temps (46*-49*) were still pretty low after the deep freeze earlier in the week. Wind was pretty tough out of the S at 16-18 with gusts to 25.  Water clarity about 18'' to 20''.  All in all - landed 10 on West and only 1 on the East.  Caught 1 on a jerkbait (after longish pause).  All the rest on green pumpkin curly tail T-Rig fished pretty slow in 5 to 10 FOW.  Just a little early, will do better next time.  Blessed to be out!

Mar 11 2019

Ron Wood

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hi Mark, I’m fishing the Twins on Wednesday 13th.The rain is going to make it rough to get my Pelican boat to the water, my question is if I walk the bank should I go to the East lake or the West for best looking areas? The road to the back lake is poorly defined any suggestions? Thanks for any help.  Ron

Mar 11 2019

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Hi Ron,

Let me try to share this graphic - I hope it can be of assistance.  The red line is your preferred route - weather permitting.  The yellow lines are possible washouts that could be challenging.  The black line is an alternative if you need to get fairly close to the West lake, but decided not to go through the trees (however, this may also requires some tricky navigation to turn back around).  The blue lines are potential bank fishing lines.  Last year, because of extremely high winds one day, we were pretty much relegated to bank fishing - and did a little better on the East along the blue line I've indicated.

Also, here is a close up of the route down to the West.  You really cannot see the route from the overhead.  I drew a red box where there is a BBQ grill and picnic area.  You want to keep that on your right as head down to the lake.

Mar 11 2019

Ron Wood

Fry

Number of Posts :

Mark, Thank you, this is a big help. I’ve got a 2 wheel drive truck and will not be doing foolish things. The lake looks awesome and I’m hoping to get my line stretched over and over. I love Lakeside @ Martin Mills but it’s booked, so maybe the fish will play nice Wednesday. Take care, tight lines, Ron