Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20649
Property Name : Yates Place
Reservation Date : 03/21/2019 All Day - 03/22/2019 AM
Total Fish/Sizes : 2 @ 4.5, 4 @ 3-3.5, released, then 15 @ 13-14" cull keepers
Lures Used : senkos, jerk bait

My 11YO son and I fished Yates Mar 21 and ½ Mar 22.  Had good weather with medium wind, lake is full to rim. Water is 4-5 ft vis with 61-65 deg. 

No big girls, but got 2 @ 4.5, 4 @ 3-3.5, released, then 15 @ 13-14" cull keepers. Also caught endless hand-sized+ bluegills on flies from dock. 

Sam caught more than half of the LMB and all bluegills as I dealt with the trolling motor and wind. We were catching LMB on weightless senkos near shore, and jerk baits in the middle.  Big shad blowups/chases mid-lake on both days.  Very nice property with lovely owners.  Excellent lodging with nice covered fish cleaning bench. I highly recommend lodging here.

Note: those traveling from DFW, I recommend NOT taking HWY 840 S out of Henderson per instructions.  The highway is being rebuilt (10 miles) and is soft with wet cement that will coat your vehicle and boat and is very difficult to remove.  Instead take 259 South out of Henderson, go south about 12 miles, exit onto FM 1798 east toward Minden.  Follow 1798 all the way to 840 and turn right to miss the construction. This leads you to 315 where the normal directions resume.

Mar 25 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Great report. Looks like you had a fun outing. 

I'm curious, is that your boat in the photo or does Yates Place have a new boat?

Mar 26 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks Larry, That boat is mine, a Plano G3, 17 ft.  I like to launch it where I can as it's got good electronics.  Not that those help me catch fish but it is neat to see what's below.  Incidentally, I did find a sunken flat-bed truck at Yates. Clear as day on side-scan.  Looks like a really good structure for summer bass.  It's located at the west end of the dam about 60 ft from shore, 13 ft depth.  

Mar 26 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thanks, Jim. I know about the submerged truck. There’s a photo album in the cabin that shows the lake being built and the truck is in there. Wonderful place and the Yates’ are tops. We had our best day ever there two years ago. My wife caught a 9 and a 10 and I caught a 9 then an 8 on a Zara Spook. Fun times there. 

Mar 27 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Excellent report, Jim. Glad you and Sam did well. Dittoes on how nice DeWayne and Kay are! Yates Place is my favorite PWF water.