Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21182
Property Name : Oak Meadow Lake
Reservation Date : 05/03/2019 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15 total, 7 culls, 8 up to 3.5 lbs returned
Lures Used : chatterbaits, senkos, popper

Sam and I fished Oak Meadow Fri May 3. When I first arrived at lunchtime, I picked up all of the used-up soft plastics someone had left carelessly on the bank around the boat. Otherwise the the lake was beautiful with clear weather after heavy rains for the past few days.

Caught 15 total, 7 culls, and 8 up to 3.5 lbs returned. No real big ones. Very well laid-out lake, I was surprised to find this lake so clear after the deluge of rain that morning, had 4 ft visibility at 70 deg.  Large volume of water going over the spillway. Has all of the right features for bass fishing. Enjoyed the lake.  Definitely need 4WD and high clearance to get in here after rain.

May 06 2019

Scott Porto

Fry

Number of Posts :

Jim - How was the grass at the lake?

May 06 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hi Scott, The grass was pretty thick around all of the banks, and rose up about 3-4 ft off the bottom in the deeper water.  If you are fishing anything less than 10 ft deep you are pretty much fishing in or over grass.  We didnt have too much problem though, as it's not the slimy algae present in some other lakes.  The troller cuts it pretty well.  Chatterbaits cut through it pretty well.  Soft plastics do fine.  I did try a rapala jerk bait but it's too stringy for that in the shallows.  Gets salad on most every cast.  Overall not bad, but I suspect will get worse over summer.  This lake has enough deep creeks and coves I doubt it will ever completely moss over.  

May 06 2019

Scott Porto

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks Jim! I have fished there before and like the lake. I enjoy fishing the timber there.  Thanks again!