David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21205
Property Name : Bennett Lake
Reservation Date : 05/18/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 54 total, 1-4 lb, 5 cull
Lures Used : lots, most effective were senko

Tom Dillon and I fished Bennett Lake from 7 am to 2:30 pm when we abandoned the lake as the weather closed in and we heard thunder. We took one short break for water and "crispy bacon". 

Cloudy and calm with periods of sunshine, air temperature 70-85 and water temperature 76-78 degrees with slightly stained water with a clarity up to 4-6 feet. Extensive submerged and emergent vegetation all around the perimeter and in areas under 6-8 feet in depth. 

Fish were essentially all taken around the vegetation edge and structure. Most productive were the cove and point east of the boat launch, the eastern bank area around to the point across from the boat launch on the northern bank. About half our fish were boated in the first 2 1/2 hours. 

Tom boated 35 and I landed 19 while having several more "spit the bit" at the gunwale. 

The most effective technique was simply "dead sticking" a wacky rigged Senko in black, green pumpkin or green pumpkin/chartreuse tail colors, the majority simply "picking it up" with no strike. All fish fought well above their weight with several "tail walkers".

We caught the occasional fish on white and chartreuse chatterbait, white spinnerbait, superfluke, and swimbait with no clear pattern. There was no topwater bite on buzzbait, zona or whopper plopper. or any dark lure save the worms. 

This is a beautiful property, tree lined, secluded and of good size. Thanks to the owner and PWF for allowing us to fish it on a beautiful day

May 20 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I totally agree with Dave about the bass fighting well above their weight. They were really strong fish, and I thought several would have been 4+, but weighted in either just under or just over 3 pounds. One of them must have thought it was a smallmouth, it jumped so high; I'd never seen a Largemouth jump that high out of the water. All bass caught were healthy with lots of color and very dark lateral lines.

To open the gate:  Ignoe they key pad. You must pull two pins, not one. First, pull the pin (just a small bolt)on the right side of the gate as you face the lake. Open the gate a little and then remove the pin on the hinge side of the gate (There is a trailer hitch-type clip through a hole in the bottom of the pin that you have to take out first).  Finally, with both pins removed, the gate opens manually. To close the gate, you must open it about 8' or so to get the hinge pin holes lined up. Once that pin is in, close the gate and replace the last pin. There is no lock. Unfortunately, I had to call Steve way before "dark-thirty" to learn about more than one pin. Sorry, Steve, especially now that I know about your surgery.

Regardless, Dave and I had a great time!

May 20 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great report and timely as I'm fishing there next weekend.  Special thanks to Tom regarding the gate instructions.  Sounds like a beast to open in pre-dawn.