Thrallveston lived up to its billing

May 24 2019

Herb Phelan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished Thrallveston for the first time. Only wound up fishing for a few hours on Wednesday the 22nd as my back tightened up (it's hell getting old) and I was going to Round Rock that night to see the Astros triple A affiliate play. Bank fished the east shore line and the dam with purple Senkos and purple power Craws and got skunked in that short time. 

The next morning I was feeling better and was on the water by 6:45. Air temp in the low 70s and heavily overcast and threatening rain all morning with some scattered light showers, light breeze. I started at the point on the south end of the lake as per the previous report, and threw a frog since it was so early. Had three blow ups on first three casts of the day! Only boated one but it was 4.1 pounds. Fished topwater for another 30 minutes with no more activity and switched to weightless purple Senkos with the tail dipped in Spike-it. Caught a 4.5, a 3.5, and a 2.5 between the point and about 15 yards down each shore line. As I worked each shore line further down from the point I caught 4 fish less than 16". Then the bite just shut off at about 9:30. I moved out to the rest of the lake and threw everything at them: black spinner baits, dark blue rattle traps, even tried a jerk bait as well as multiple colored senkos (watermelon, dark blue, two toned green/white, and light and dark purple). Only action on the rest of the lake was a 2.5 pound on the west shoreline. Fished until 11:30 and figured that I would give the point one more try before calling it a day. I circled back to it and WHAM! Pulled in the biggest fish of the day, a 6.1 pounder. Nice way to finish the day off. 

Pretty property, and met Hal the land owner who's a great guy and was helpful with tips. Also, the proximity to Louie Mueller's for a barbecue lunch break didn't hurt (if you've never been, it's the best BBQ in the state outside Lockhart IMHO). A day like that made the drive from Dallas and putting up with a little rain worth it. I'll definitely be back. 

May 24 2019

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Great day for you. Ill be fishing this lake a lot , but have to clear up a few health issues first, Thanks for the report.