These Fish are Possessed

May 30 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

This was day 2 of our 4 day Memorial weekend trip to Crockett area lakes, with my 11 YO son, and the highlight of the four lakes.  Fished from 6:30-4 with midday break. Hot sun 94 deg, and windy gusts.  Tom Dillon and Dave May summed it up well in their May 18 reports.  I am not sure what is going on here, but these are the most aggressive and spirited bass I have ever had the joy of landing.  When they hit your junk you have a serious fight on your hands, and you believe the fish is bigger than its actual weight.  They fight with stamina and determination like a steelhead.  They usually bite your finger and splash your sunglasses as you release them.  

We landed 45 total, 30 before lunch. Biggest 10 fish at 4.5, 4.1, 4.0 lbs and 7@ 2-3lbs. Rest were culls at 13-14”.  All tough fighters. They were concentrated in about three areas when you are looking at the launch: the point just to the right of the launch, the point straight across from the launch, and far back in the grassy feeder creek far to the left of the launch (explosive mid-afternoon topwater bites around the beaver lodge, downed timber, and grass).  We caught the odd one around the lake but majority in these three spots.

We caught about 30% on topwater, 30% on shallow jerkbait, 30% senko.  Fine day and definitely now in my top 3 fave PWF lakes.  

4 lber at Bennett