Jun 08 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21520
Property Name : Slaughter Lake
Reservation Date : 06/07/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 16 from 12 inches to 19/20 inches
Lures Used : weighted super fluke, purple Senko, green Pompadeur Jr topwater, white/chartreuse Z-Man Sledgehammer chatterbait

Had a great day with my son. Finally caught a beautiful day - partly cloudy and a light breeze. Arrived and launched around 7am and it was FISH ON! Caught about 10 in the first 2 hours. Best producer was a blue/silver weighted Super Fluke. Next was a green Pompadeur Jr topwater. Water was stained brown with visibility to about 10 inches. Water temp 78°. Light vegetation so navigation was no problem. Easy access and easy launch. The dock was a plus.

The most productive area was to the right of the dock, north side about half way to the other end. Caught about 80% of our fish in that 100 foot stretch. All were not far from shore - maybe 30-40 ft out. Fished around in the trees in the middle and caught nothing. So the shoreline to the right of the dock is golden! The lake is fairly shallow overall with the old creek channel about 7-8 ft. Every fish we caught was in 4’ or less, some less than 2’!

Took a lunch break then hit it again. Slower fishing in the warm sunny afternoon but managed to catch my first bass ever on a chatterbait, the Z-Man Sledgehammer. A very nice 4 pounder near the dam.

Overall we caught 16 and probably lost another 10 between us. Harvested 4. Returned to the lake​ were a couple of 1 pounders, a few 2 and 3 pounders, 4 4 pounders and a 4.5, our largest for the day. Every single fish was chunky and very healthy looking. One (my 4.5 pounder) looked to be full of eggs but maybe was just well fed. LOL.

Enjoyed visiting with the owner, Mr. Bill Slaughter. He was very happy we had a good day. He mentioned the lake was stocked with native bass only 4 years ago, so maybe 4.5 - 5 pounders is the biggest here. Size is just a number - these fish are fighters with an attitude! We look forward to going there again.