Brent Chandler

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21935
Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake
Reservation Date : 08/04/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 23, 1 lbs to 4+ lbs
Lures Used : Topwater Toad, Texas Rig Lizard

Fished Backside of the Moon in Bowie on Sunday and I reiterate the other members comments regarding how remote the lake is....be prepared for a bumpy ride.  I pulled my 16ft Tracker Grizzly up and down the rocky roads, it was not easy.  

As for the fishing, given the property description and the prior reports, I was pleasantly surprised at the numbers that I was able to catch.  I had 23 total with 3 over 4lbs, 4 over 3lbs and numerous 2 lbers.  I started out at daylight throwing a topwater toad and got 5 blow ups and caught 3.  I then pulled out a Texas rigged lizard and never looked back.  I caught fish up and down both banks, and along the deep ledges.  Sometimes the bite was subtle with a shallow "tick" and then the line moving or tight, and other times they slammed it as soon as it hit the water.  The bigger fish were in the deeper part of the lake closer to the dam.  

Right before noon, I could see the raining coming, so despite having reserved a full day, I got off the lake just at the right time as the down pour began.  I tried to wait it out in the truck, but then decided head out after 30 minutes.   With all the rain the roads were slick and muddy.  It was not easy getting out, and I am glad I had 4WD.  

Overall, a really good day.  I will be back, but first, I have to re-attach my trailer license plate which was ripped off by one (or more) of the rocks.  If you are bringing a boat, heed the 17ft warning as some of the turns were extremely narrow for my 16 footer.   

Aug 07 2019

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

We try and describe the lakes accurately. There is a small but loyal group of members who like fishing here. Very remote and quite place.