David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21969
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 08/16/2019 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 4 fish, two 2# and two 5#
Lures Used : Texas rigged green pumpkin worm

I fished Pecan Gap this morning under clear sky's with a soft 4-7 mph south wind making the temperature tolerable. The lake is in great shape, full,  the water greenish tinged with visibility to 3 feet or more and the water temperature was 85 degrees at 6:45 am. There is a rim of filamentous algae on the west and north banks extending about 10 feet into the lake, the eastern bank essentially free of the algae. Hydrilla is present but not emergent at this time but is "all over" the lake. 

I caught 4 bass, two 2# and two 5#, all healthy and aggressive fighters. The first, a 2#, was just north of the dock/launch site about 20 feet from the dam. The second, a 5# was very aggressive in hammering a 7" worm just north of the feeder on the eastern bank. The third, also a 5# was over the northern hump and the fourth along the eastern bank about 20 yards from the dam. 

The only bites I got were on a Texas rigged green pumpkin 7" worm fished as a slow crawl thru the vegetation with an occasional lift.  I tried other color worms, Texas rigged craw, chatter bait, rattle trap, square bill crank, wacky rigged worm, spinner bait, swim jig, swim baits, frogs and buzz baits without success. 

The pontoon boat and the dock at this site are fabulous (you could tie up a 36 footer on the dock). This is an excellent property, well managed, providing big bites. Thank you Steve and Cole for getting this in the club.