David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22030
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 08/30/2019 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5 LMB, 1 crappie
Lures Used : Zona spook, rattle trap, Texas rigged worm

I fished Pecan Gap today from 7 am until 10:30 am when a thunderstorm ran me off the lake.

It was a beautiful morning with the air temp 74 degrees and a 5 mph south breeze at sun up. The water was 84 degrees and clear with a visibility of 4-5 feet. The water level is at the normal level in spite of the recent heat. There is substantial vegetation that is emergent only on the shore line areas where it extends 5-15 feet outward. 

I went immediately to the northern most hump and immediately caught a 2-3 pounder "walking the dog" with a Zona. A few minutes later a second fish chomped on my Sexy Shad Rattle trap in the same area. I moved across to the point on the west bank where a palm sized crappie took my Beetle Spin with a white grub.

I moved to the southern most hump, then the shallow timber area without success but upon moving down the east bank, casting onto the emergent vegetation and retrieving back with a TR 7" Green pumpkin worm had success with a cull and another 2 pound bass. 

About this time the wind shifted to the north, the sky darkened and I moved up to the northeast corner, drifting down the eastern shore. The rain started without fanfare, gentle at first, then a steady downpour without thunder or lightening. The disturbance of the water surface "covered my tracks" with a 4.5 pounder again taking the TR worm. At this point the thunder and lightening commenced and I commenced to get off the water!

All the fish were healthy and aggressive.