David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22093
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 09/11/2019 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 4 fish, largest 5.1, two culls
Lures Used : TR worm 7'

I fished Pecan Gap this morning. I began the day, as many of you did, with a prayer for all those affected by 9/11, the tranquil surroundings a poignant reminder of how fortunate we are in todays world. 

The sky was blue with cotton ball clouds, the temperature 73 degrees at 7 am with no breeze at all. The water was clear to 3 feet with a temperature of 84 degrees. The pond is about a foot low relative to its level several weeks ago.  The vegetation is now, in the shallow south end, at the surface while in the main body it is within a few feet of the surface 20 yards from shore. As the morning progressed, a steady south breeze developed making the day quite comfortable. When I left at noon the air temperature was 84 degrees. 

I caught 4 fish, returned two and culled two, the largest just over 5 pounds. I had a single frog strike without hook up and had one break off and one fish "spit the bit" at the gunwale. All were on a Texas rigged worm, 7" with black with blue flake and green pumpkin preferred. Nothing on Texas rigged craw, Mojo rig, crank bait, chatter bait, frog, rattle trap (which I rapidly retired given the vegetation) or Wacky Rig.