Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22177
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 09/29/2019 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6 @ 3.88, 3.63, 3.56 and 3 culls<14"
Lures Used : Whopper Plopper, swimbait, senko

My Son and I fished I Pecan Gap Sunday PM for the first time.  Echoing the other reports, this lake is perfectly laid out for bass habitat. Easy access, nice road, brand new dock, and concrete launch.  What a delightful lake to fish with all of the great structure. I do think the four feeders can make it tough to fool these fish with artificials.  It seems the majority are waiting for the feeders to go off, getting stuffed at the bluegill buffet, then napping until the next feeder goes off a few hours later. 

We did manage to catch a few, averaging 60-70 casts per bite, we landed 6 fish total. Top 3 were 3.88, 3.63, and 3.56, plus 3 dinks. Two of the fish were caught while dragging a whopper plopper through the feeder frenzy, as we were lucky enough to be within casting range when a couple of the feeders went off.  After the frenzy was over in 2-3 minutes, no more bites for a long while, anywhere on the lake.

We did catch one unusual fish (Pics below). It had a grape-sized tumor on its bottom lip, scarring on its back, and a tag attached near its dorsal fin.  If anyone is tracking this fish it weighed 3.88 lbs and is 18.5” long and lives near the SW feeder, waiting for the next dinner bell.

Tumor on bottom lip:                                    Tag in dorsal:

Waiting for the dinner bell:

Sep 30 2019

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I agree Jim.  I don't know if a place can have to much forage, but it seem's like it here.  I really like the lake and have fished it 3-4 times.  Great layout, but every single time has been a grind.  Every fish i have caught out of here has been a quality fish, and i bet that there are some big big fish in here.  It seems like they maybe got it to easy lol.

Sep 30 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Danny, 

Agreed, I'm sure you've been there when the feeders go off.  You can see several very large bass mouths coming out of the water attacking the 'gills.  I also side scanned the areas around the feeders while dormant, and on all four you will find massive schools of 3-5" bluegill tightly schooled nearby. After the second frenzy, I am pretty well convinced that most of these bass just don't feed until it's easy pickins'.  They just rest until the next event, and it's over in a couple of minutes.  Back to sleep with a full belly.   Move to next feeder, repeat.     

Sep 30 2019

Jerry Gaither

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I agree. great lake and layout. and i am sure there are plenty of healthy bass,

but it is very difficult to catch fish there. It also seems to me that there is too much forage in the lake 

to have consistent quality trips. Only PWF lake i have ever been skunked on . Still a fun lake to fish because of structure

and layout.

Sep 30 2019

Jerry Gaither

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

and there are some big healthy fish in that pond!