Glorious north Texas fall morning. Thank heavens the fish didn't interrupt the serenity!

Oct 12 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22259
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 10/12/2019 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 1, 15"
Lures Used : fluke

I fished 8-noon today at Pecan Gap. I arrived at sunrise with the air temperature 33 degrees, no wind, clear skies and vapor rising from the surface of the pond. I watched several large flights of geese and ducks pass overhead as I readied the boat. The water temperature was 70 degrees at the surface, the water clear with 3 foot visibility and the vegetation thick and healthy. The south forks are now almost totally filled to within 1-2 feet of the surface while the rest of the lake is easily navigable. 

I could find no pattern or lure that produced. There was no topwater bite at all and I caught a single bass over the brush pile in the north east corner. The usual productive areas, humps, points and feeders and brush piles did yield fish today; not surprising given the change in the weather over the last 48 hours. 

I visited with the owner Craig and his wife for some time after stowing my gear. He did volunteer that there may be too many forage fish, the bass in his lake being about 20-30% heavier per length than average upon survey. He did feel that this may contribute to the "hard bite" we have all noticed and commented about in a post a couple of weeks ago. Craig told me that when he bought the property it was not uncommon to catch 50 LMB in a day, all 12 inches long. 

I told him how much we appreciate him letting us fish his property. It is a beautiful lake. 

Oct 13 2019

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Informative report David - thanks. Loved the title! :)

Mark

Oct 13 2019

Jerry Gaither

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

i am starting to think there is just a lower density of bass in that lake. caught 3 tagged bass one week 

and owner has said he had only put 30-40 in the lake. the % of tagged bass i caught makes me think bass were biting, but i normally only catch 1 bass every 2 hours. All healthy fish from very small to quality fish.

i think culling fish on this lake is not a good idea.

there are good quality of fish in this lake but i believe it could support more.

Oct 13 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I suspect you are correct. I have reviewed my logs over the last year and average about a fish every 2 hours also. One day I caught 8 which is clearly the outlier as I have been skunked once and have a number of 2-3 bass days fishing 6 am to noon. I have never fished it in the evening slot. When I was talking to Craig he said he bought the property about 15 years ago and could catch large numbers of small bass (meaning 50 or so) but no large fish. He put some Florida bass genetics in from a local dealer and also had a neighbor who had Florida bass imported, of which Craig purchased a number. These were the tagged bass as I understand it. I have never caught a tagged bass there. He did not indicate to me the density of bass on his last survey but he is certainly aware of the "problem" if it can be called that. I must admit that I find the "harder to fish" lakes more attractive than the "easy to catch" lakes because I think it makes me work harder and pay more attention to the detail of my technique and casting. Craig has personally caught a 14+ from the lake. I have a number of queries out to friends and associates about the question of forage also. 

Oct 15 2019

Jerry Gaither

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished  Pecan Gap 10-15. Got to site before sunup hoping for a great day. Overcast w/ slight breeze,

perfect conditions. Caught one dink before leaving at one. Frustrating!

Oct 16 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Has anyone ever seen any otters there? or anywhere else?  Otters can decimate bass quickly. I've only been to Pecan Gap once and did not see any.   

Oct 16 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Morning,

I have not seen otters at Pecan Gap. The EF surveys have shown appropriate numbers of bass I am told and there are certainly large fish in the lake as a 9.4 was taken a couple of weeks ago. There is a heavy Florida bass population there based on prior stocking which, I am told, tend to be more lure averse. 

As for me, I think I am just not a good enough fisherman at the moment and need to keep trying!

Dave