Keith Barfield

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22686
Property Name : Five Finger Springs
Reservation Date : 12/22/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5, 1 harvested
Lures Used : Soft plastics, jigs & cranks, spinnerbaits

I fished from 10:30 – 5:30 Sunday under sunny skies and calm winds. Water temps 50 - 53. Caught five fish and only one harvested. Very unique property, as mentioned in the description.  However, I would use the term boulders, not rocks beneath the surface.

The crystal clear water required a “stealthy” approach. I drifted a lot and had minimal use of the trolling motor for much of the day. I’d be interested in others opinions on fishing crystal clear water. Surprisingly, as clear as the water was, I saw no fish.  Only a few turtles on the bottom.  I presume they were hiding under the rocks.

These rocks in the pics below were on the west side (finger?) and were about 1-2 foot below the surface.  No problems trolling over the boulders.  However, it would be difficult in low water conditions.

Biggest was 2.6 pounds caught on a 10 inch power worm and 2 on football head jig. Nothing on the rest of my tackle box.  Very convenient location and the 8 foot plastic boat worked fine for 1 person.

All in all, thumbs up for Five Fingers.  yes  I hope to return again soon. 

Merry Christmas to all PWF members, staff and land owners!

Dec 24 2019

Tom Peel

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hello Keith,

I'm no expert on clear water but a friend of mine who is introduced me to the "Ned Rig" last year and we have had great luck with it in the clear water hill country lakes.

Using a spinning rod and light line you can throw the light jig head and downsize the bait for a slower drop.

Check out the "z-man" line of products and remember to go as light and small as the wind will allow.

Thanks for the report, I want to check out Five Fingers in 2020.