Rudi Reetz

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22799
Property Name : Brushy Creek Lake
Reservation Date : 01/19/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9
Lures Used : worms/crankbait

Morning temperature of 36F with wind chill down to 30F had me a little worried about the fishing but it was a good day on the water with my son and nephew. Water was 54-57F and very clear by the ramp but more turbid in rest of lake. This was my first trip to Brushy and the shallow water and dense healthy hydrilla reminded me of Lake Welsh out in east Texas. The sun was out all day with no clouds but a shifting wind that kept ripples across surface of water. We started fishing at 10 am and caught 6 fish in first 1 1/2 hours. There were 3 small bass along with a 1.5, 3.5 and 5 lb. All caught on small green worms with chartreuse tail Texas rigged and drop shot. They were all caught in the arm of the lake near the boat ramp. One was towards main lake between fence line on left side and the cinder blocks (old duck blind?). After fishing less than 2 hours, stopped for lunch for an hour and then back on water from about 1:30 to 4:30. Tried same Texas rig and drip shot but had no bites on these in afternoon. Tried bigger, smaller, different colors. Then I threw a red shallow crankbait and would get some hydrilla on nearly every cast, but that is where the fish are. I caught 2 small bass and one that was 2.5lbs. My nephew fished by the dam and covered the majority of the lake with no bites anywhere else but the water from ramp out to main lake. I think a shallow suspending jerk bait would have been productive but I did not have any with me.

Jan 21 2020

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Rudi. Good report. Did you try shallow cranks along the various post lines?

Bill

Jan 22 2020

Rudi Reetz

Fry

Number of Posts :

Yes I did try the crankbait along the various fence post lines.  The only one that seemed productive Sunday was the one closest to the ramp.  I forgot to mention that I did try chatterbait and jigs in the morning in all the same spots also—without any bites.