Feb 03 2020

Jeff Cavitt

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22914
Property Name : Triple J Ranch
Reservation Date : 02/02/2020 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 8 Bass up to 4.5 Lbs
Lures Used : Stick worm, jig, lipped crank bait, and lipless crank bait.

2 bass at 4.5 lbs, 4 bass at 3+ lbs (looked like footballs), and 2 in the 2.5 lbs range. All bass were caught on lipless crank baits in shad pattern. The lure was my KVD Red Eye Shad. The bass were in 12 ft of water/center channel close to the dam. They were either on the bottom or suspended between 9 to 7 Ft around bait fish clusters. I used a weird technique to slow down for the lethargic bass. I let the lure sink all the way to the bottom and kind of popped it up like a worm and let it sink. Most of the hits came when I wasn't moving the lure. So, on the drop. The hits were very light. It was like a small pop and they had taken the lure. The odd thing was that they didn't run with the lure. It wasn't until they realised they were close to the surface, that they put up a fight. All the fish had fat bellies and looked healthy. Pale in color but healthy. All bass were over the cull limit, which made for a fun morning.

The boat still has a slow leak in the back. Enough to get your gear and shoes wet if you are in the back seat. It's not going to sink the boat, but enough to wet your trip.