Harrison Papaila

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22912
Property Name : Yates Place
Reservation Date : 02/29/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : up to 9.66
Lures Used : various

Fished Yates Place from about 8 to 5 on leap day with fellow member Greg Zimmerman. The air temperature was in the upper 40's upon arrival but warmed to the mid-70s by the afternoon. With the recent rains, the water level was high and murky--about a foot of visibility. Water temp ranged from 53 to 58 throughout the day. 

After an hour and a half on the water, we finally got our first bite. I thought I was snagged on something, but then it started to move. She surfaced once before she got near the boat and we knew it was a good one. She gave one last effort to dive beneath the boat, but I managed to wrestle her up and Greg was quick with the net.  We snapped a few photos and got her measurements. 9.66 pounds! Beat my PB by over a pound and a half, but I'm still chasing the elusive DD club membership. I only caught 2 dinks the rest of the day, but Greg caught numerous fatties in the 3-5 lb range. We harvested 5, but even the harvests were fat and healthy. 

I'm not sure I'd change a single thing about Yates Place. It's a little slice of heaven just 2.5 hours from Dallas. Beautiful scenery, incredible hosts, and exceptional fishing. 

Mar 01 2020

Harrison Papaila

Fry

Number of Posts :

Happy angler

Weight

Length

One of the hosts

Mar 01 2020

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

That is an outstanding catch! Congratulations to you, your next stop being the DD club!

Mar 02 2020

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Great fish

Mar 02 2020

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Congrats on the PB! Nice toad!

Mar 02 2020

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Harrison, very nice fish and yes you won't be happy now until you catch that DD…..............

Mar 05 2020

John Hufstedler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Congrats Harrison!!!  Great catch and great pics.  You can't beat that happy fisherman smile!

Mar 07 2020

David Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Nice fish Harrison! 

Mar 09 2020

Jeff Cavitt

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Congrats man! Beautiful Bass!

Mar 12 2020

Billy Morton

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thats a hawg, congrats!

Mar 12 2020

Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Harrison had his GoPro going when he caught this fish.  Thankfully, he has not shared the video perhaps due to one or two words that are regrettable, however, I was there, but until you watch the video, you really don't realize what this was.  It appears that this took about 40 seconds.  Look at your watch for 40 seconds, because it is longer than you think.  We didn't know what it was for the first 10 seconds.  We didn't know until that massive head came to the surface.  Even then, Harrison thought 6-7 lbs.  When you watch the video closely, you see that Harrison is playing the fish quite well, with the drag performing exactly as you would want and very good bend on the rod.  As it got closer to the boat, we both realized that it was the biggest LMB that either of us had seen.  It dove, but Harrison turned it perfectly to the net, and the next thing you know, we started taking pictures.  Incredible fish.  

Mar 12 2020

Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I forgot to add that Harrison called his cast on this fish.  We pulled up to the major point, he told me that there should be a big girl off that point. I thought it was too shallow and cast deep while he cast to the four foot depth on the major point.  One cast, one big fish.  

Mar 13 2020

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I have a habit of asking everyone I meet as to their impressions of a DD catch. (Harrison, yours was a DD catch if your fish had eaten a blue gill or two for breakfast and so you are in that club IMO). They all say they "thought they were snagged" until the line moved. That makes me feel better as I "set the hook" now when I feel snagged. Unfortunately, all that has done for me is imbed the hook into a tree limb making my lure retrieval impossible. I am still looking toward the "snagged" sensation being a fish. Congratulations to you on the (current) fish of  a lifetime for you. For me, I shalll continue to "set the hook" into the laydown and brush pile. '

Dave

Mar 13 2020

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

David: