Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23185
Property Name : Masagana Farms
Reservation Date : 03/07/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 17 at 14-17" up to 4lb
Lures Used : senko, WhopPlop

Sam and I fished Masagana for the first time on Saturday, noon to 430. Although 15-20 mph winds took some of the joy out, otherwise, this is a very nice lake.  We had decent luck landing 17 fish between 14-17 inches, 12 culls and 5 returned.   Sam’s go-to bait is the senko, while I tend to try everything else, fast, slow, top to bottom.  After he caught his fourth fish while I had not gotten a peck on anything else, I followed his lead and switch to dead stick tx rig senko and started getting in the game. 

All but one were caught dead drifting in 8-9 ft water. If you were deeper or shallower, no bites. If you were moving it too fast, no bites.  It had to just be laying there in 8.5ft of water, and they would nail it. That went on till about 4 pm when I tied on a Whopper Plopper and sailed it back into the far SE cove.  A fat 4lber, full of eggs, slurped it like a toilet flush. That was the only fish from shallow water.  No more strikes after that and called it a day at 430.

We did not see the owner all day. We did see the ice chest, and it had only a melted ice bag and some cold water.  I filleted two culls, drained the water, put the fillets in a Ziploc, and set them on a frozen water bottle from my chest.  I tied the ice bag to the handle so hopefully he will notice something is inside.

One of Sam's 2 lbers:

Mar 08 2020

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :