Mark Wheelock

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23290
Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake
Reservation Date : 03/11/2020 All Day - 03/12/2020 PM
Total Fish/Sizes : 40+
Lures Used : White and black spinner

The boys and I booked two days on Back Side of The Moon over at Bowie and wow!  Everyone caught their new personal best fish.  I lost one at the boat that was an easy seven pounds.   We weighed three of the first we caught to get a good idea of size.  They were 4.5, 4, and 3.5 pounds.  Several fives were caught, many fours, a lot of threes, many twos, and my big one I lost as I was reaching for a lip.  The fish were trying to kill the lures, and fighting so hard you really weren't sure how big they were going to be.  We caught everything on white and black bodied 1/2 oz Black Fury (Black spinner) Mepps and white bodied, silver spinner, 1/4 oz beetle spins.  We tried lots of bright chrome, fire tiger, etc when we got there, and as soon as we switched to the white and black, it was FISH ON for the rest of the trip.  (The first half of day one was slow, and we caught nine the first afternoon.  Day two we caught nine in the first couple hours, and lost track after that.) The wind blew pretty good, and so we would drift down the banks and paddle up to the dam and do it again.  The first day the fish were all caught from the dam to 2/3 down the tank (Usually within ten foot of the bank) and by the afternoon of the second day, they were on the lower 2/3 of the lake along the banks and stacking up at the opposite end of the lake in the creek channel and on out to the banks.  We have only fished Medina before this trip, but we all cannot wait to go back here.  On a side note, if you haven't been, the water is chocolate milk, but the lake is sitting in a BEAUTIFUL setting.  The dogwoods, wild plums, etc were in full bloom and the oaks were beginning to put on leaves.   If you want to see pics and video of some of the fish and the lake, my instagram account is MidTex Mulching.

Mar 15 2020

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report.  Sounds like an awesome few days of fishing.  I have this lake on my to-do list.

When you say spinners are you talking about a traditional spinnerbait or the small inline spinners with the hair on the treble hook?  I'm familiar with the beetle spin.

Mar 23 2020

Mark Wheelock

Fry

Number of Posts :

Chris, the lures we used were the inline kind with hair on the treble hook.  White hair on the hook with a black and white spinner seemed to catch the most fish.  I'm a lousy fisherman, but I catch fish consistently on Mepps, especially their #4 and #5 Aglia skirted spinners.  I learned about them from a guy who was one of the "luckiest" fishermen I've ever known.  Good luck when you fish the lake, I can't wait to go back!

Mar 24 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Mark,

Thanks for the report. I've always said this is one of the top 10 most scenic properties in the club. The chocolate milk colored water is always a member concern. The water is turbid, because the lake is chocked full of small common carp. The good news is that this small carp (4"-8") are great forage for the bass and that water color really reduces the grass in the lake, making sure that you can use your entire tackle box. The bad news is that all the carp really reduces bass recruitment. Bass densities are low at this lake. 

FYI, the bass are whiter in color, not because they are "sick" but because they are in muddy water. Dark color bass are found in clear lakes. They match their environment. 

Anyway, I went to midtexmulching and saw the photos and the kind words about PFW. Thanks for the shout out!

Steve

Mar 24 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Mark,

Thanks for the report. I've always said this is one of the top 10 most scenic properties in the club. The chocolate milk colored water is always a member concern. The water is turbid, because the lake is chocked full of small common carp. The good news is that this small carp (4"-8") are great forage for the bass and that water color really reduces the grass in the lake, making sure that you can use your entire tackle box. The bad news is that all the carp really reduces bass recruitment. Bass densities are low at this lake. 

FYI, the bass are whiter in color, not because they are "sick" but because they are in muddy water. Dark color bass are found in clear lakes. They match their environment. 

Anyway, I went to midtexmulching and saw the photos and the kind words about PFW. Thanks for the shout out!

Steve