John Daniels

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22969
Property Name : Timber Lake
Reservation Date : 03/21/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 2
Lures Used :  top water frogs, swim jigs, chatterbaits, worms

First time fishing with Private Water Fishing.  I chose Timber Lake because it is half way between a friend of mine that lives near Paris, TX.

The weather has been raining everyday.  I was expecting the water to be muddy but it wasn't.  Visibility was 2 feet.  The road in was sloppy but no risk of getting stuck except for one area.  One spot on the hill before reaching the cabin requires 4 wheel drive (thank you for the courtesy call warning me PWF it was really appreciated).  That one spot was gnarly.  I visited with one of the hunters at the cabin that said they have had 6 inches of rain in the last week.  When I first spotted the lake there was a group of a dozen or so hogs standing on the dam with one boar lingering around after the others had bolted.  The hunters were setting hog traps so I let them know later in the day.

We started early.  Fishing the dam with top water.  Water temp was 57o F.  When we reached the east side where the standing timber starts we switched to jigs.  I caught a 2.75 lbs bass on a white swim jig with green/red trailer.  Impressive fight.  We continued through the trees into the southeast corner and then back into one of the coves.  Getting hydrilla wrapped around the prop was popping fuses on the trolling motor. I was not expecting so much grass.  While working on the trolling motor, we were pushed into one of the coves onto a thick bed of grass.  I switched to a green top water frog while my buddy was working the problem.  A 2.55 lbs nailed my top water frog.  We fished some more and lost one on a frog before calling a timeout.

We went to find some lunch in town.  The hunters recommended the white gas station in town.  A local, heavily smoking a cigarillo, at the cash register told us he wasn't making lunch because he had already turned off the grill.  It was 11:59 AM.  We grabbed some snacks and headed back doing voice impressions of the guy at the register the whole time, "I'd have to turn the grill on".

We started back fishing working the western bank into the southwestern finger concentrating on some of the coves and concentrations of timber.  We had several blow ups, phantom bites, close calls and lost fish.  We spotted a bass with his nose stuck into the bank.  Buddy tossed a frog at it.  Bass pounced on it but we lost that one too.  I worked a green lizard over the beaver lodge and hooked one but lost it at the boat.  We called it quits about 4:30 PM.  We were hungry.

All in all it was a good day and since I did not catch the least number of bass, I was not a bug eater.

Mar 22 2020

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

John - Welcome to PWF and thanks for sharing your first report along with pics!  Your report was fun and informative.  And the Bug Eater looks none the happier! 

Mark

Mar 23 2020

John Daniels

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thank you Mark.  We definitely had more laughs than bites but still a good day.