Athens, MK 3/29

Mar 30 2020

Pete Lane

Fry

Number of Posts :

Must have been a really busy day for the club this Sunday, made a late decision to go fishing and MK was one of few open waters within 2 hrs of the house - hope everyone had a great day. First time at MK, this is a nice spot. Easy to get to, peaceful and very green / scenic. Water temp was 71 degf, air a little warmer, mostly overcast, water clarity ~2' (classic E TX tea color). A few fronts / showers came through in the afternoon (I fished from 12-6). Tried a few different patterns - TX rig in the brush in the hump in the middle, swim baits in the shallows, rattle trap, top water, wacky rig in the shallows…. but the only thing that worked was a free-lined senko right in the margins. Literally had to land ~6" from the bank or no takers. Caught 15 doing this, 5 cull size, 4 over 3lb, best 3 12. Had what looked like a 4lb-er on but my 1/0 Gamakatsu hook snapped in half….. that's a first. All but one of the females had already spawned. Great day to be outside. A couple of watch-outs here… in the shallow end away from the dam there are a bunch of stumps just below the surface, hung up the kayak multiple times, be careful!. Also the launch area has a really soft bottom, went into the mud up to the knee as I exited.