Darrell Collier

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23595
Property Name : Hat and Star Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/29/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10
Lures Used : texas rig lizard, rattle trap, whopper plopper, wacky worm

got on the water around 12:30p after a quick take-out of Bodacious BBQ in Gilmer.  smiley  Temp started out in high 60s, climbed to mid-70s.  We used the jon boat on property and it worked great...easy access.  First catch was around 1p, a huge crappie on a watermelon lizard in about 4 feet of water....attacked it!  We caught about half our fish between 1-3, then almost nothing from 3- 5:30, then caught again last couple hours.  All dinks but one 2 lb-er and my son caught a 3 lb-er around 7:15 for our last and biggest fish of the day.  Very sporadic fishing...could never figure any trend.  Most were caught within 10 feet of the shore.  We did try worms and cranks in the deeper water, but nothing.  My summary would be that generally slower baits were better, and seemed if you threw it in their mouth, they were all over it.  Most of the worm action was within 5 seconds of hitting the water.  I hooked one really nice one, wrapped me aroud a log, freed up, then broke my line after stripping some drag.  Would've been a nice one to get in!  All-in-all, awesome day, beautiful lake and property.  Will definitely be back.

Mar 30 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Darrell,

Thanks for your 3rd report. This is one of my favorite lakes in the club. It does not always produce, but when it does, it produces like few others in the club. This lake has produced as many fish over 8 lbs as any in the club. Great place to go for your PB. 

Steve