Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23698
Property Name : Slaughter Lake
Reservation Date : 04/04/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 2@4.8,4.9, 2@13-14"culls
Lures Used : senko, popper, swimbait, spinnerbait

Sam and I had a chilly trip to Slaughter on Saturday 12-5 pm, both the weather and the fishing that is. At noon, air temp was 40 deg, water was 51, with 5-10 mph wind.  The lake is full, and looks great for cover, grass, and structure.  The water is stained with 6” vis. 

We should have paid more attention to the weather as a cold front had come through the night before and pretty much shut down all feeding, as we did not get a nibble for the first 3.5 hours.  Later the air warmed to 50 deg and we managed to land a 4lb-13oz, and a 4lb-14oz each, plus a couple of 13-14” culls.  We tried all lures, but only a senko up in shallow grass produced.  Overall a very cold, slow day of fishing. We even set up a couple of rod holders off the dock with bloody cheese sponge bait to try for a catfish.  Nada nibbles after 4 hour soak.  Bait untouched.

I noted on the livescope sonar what others have reported, a large number of small fish thickly suspended at 10-15 ft (see chart below).  I tried drifting crappie jigs through them and never got a nibble.  I dragged out the cast net to see what they were, and managed to net up a few 4” crappie and some 2-4” gizzard shad.  When I see shad loosely swimming like that (not balled up) I know from past experience, nothing is eating them.  So no need to try shad imitators at that time.

Based on all reports, this is a pretty tough lake to crack, although everything points to a balanced lake with plenty of forage, cover, and fat healthy fish.  I will have to give it another shot when the weather warms up. 

Small crappie and gizzard shad at 10-15 ft: